Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My new Studio Space!

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  therightjem 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just wanted to show off my new studio/ rehearsal space. I moved to a cool old house with a basement, and I'm glad I did. Of course, I ended up cleaning up last night AFTER I made the vid, but oh well.

Enjoy!

P.S. Any ideas about isolation and foam would be very helpful. I'm renting, so non permanent. I recorded a little with my Dual Rec and 4x12 and it was still quite loud in the control room.

#3 ·
Nice!

But there is nothing you can do for sound isolation to a place that you are renting. Sound isolation requires mass, and space. Foam is nothing but a fire hazard and the only way it effects the sound is to muddy it up.
What you need are acoustic treatments made up of bass and broadband traps (OC703 or 3lb density mineral wool, at least 4" thick). That will still not isolate the sound, that is physically impossible without building a room within a room and floating the floor at a typical cost of about $75k for a build your size.

#8 ·
Thanks guys! Yeah, my next project is to make some 'gobos' for better isolation.

I will say this: the drawback to having a lot of amps, is that they tend to break down or have problems. For example, I have Mesa Mark IV that needs to get repaired and I need to replace a volume pot in my Tremoverb. I could probably sell everything except my Egnater and Axe Fx, but what's the fun in that!

As far as funding all of this, I am by no means wealthy. In fact, my income is in the poverty level. I just look for good deals, and I buy and sell a lot for profit.

Music wise, I am into progressive metal and jazz. My band is basically prog metal.

Thanks for watching guys!

#9 ·
Great studio space! Can't wait to see what to end up with.

As far as gear--people forget that most of us have accumulated our gear through decades if collecting, and we didn't just go out and buy a plethora of guitars, amps and effects over a weekend...lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.