Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Question for heavy Trem users.

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Proletariat 
#1 ·
I'm not a trem guy but just curious. Could you eliminate the locking nut and replace it with a locking tuner/roller nut combo and be just as effective?

#6 ·
I have 8 guitars at the mo.... 6 with floating bridges.... all but one of those is blocked and i leave one floating in case I feel the urge to dive bomb :).... I agree with the other guys... just block the term if your gonna be messing with tuning a lot (as I do when my band plays.... we tune to Eb, play Guns N Roses, Tool (in Db)...System Of A Down (Db) and some other stuff and a 7 string for Korn, Slipknot etc....

#11 ·
Another way to go is something like the Morpheus Drop Tune. There is the tinest bit of tone diff (little warmer less sharp when engaged) however when running a OD box with it its a great substitute. The latency is freakin great. I can play fear factory type material with a standard E and the morpheus setting to Low B and it does the job.......

Would I gig with it, prob not. I like the best tone possible and while the average listener wouldnt hear a diff there is always that one douchebag who can and then I feel like the DB..... But if you like to play in diff tuning at home or band practice to refine chops its good enough for that.

Google some vids but also try it out. Prob best used in the loop and the trim level set at 50% but its a great work around.....IMO

#12 ·
Second on the Morpheus, Excellent results dropping 4 semis, good results beyond. (Maybe one of these days they will be able just drop the low E)

What I do not understand is why people buy FLoyd style guitars and immediately fully block them. I understand the tremol-no, I understand dive only, by why full blocking and not a fixed bridge? Availabilty?

#13 ·
Second on the Morpheus, Excellent results dropping 4 semis, good results beyond. (Maybe one of these days they will be able just drop the low E)

What I do not understand is why people buy FLoyd style guitars and immediately fully block them. I understand the tremol-no, I understand dive only, by why full blocking and not a fixed bridge? Availabilty?
Ive done this for years....Graphite, Tusq, standard, Bone...all these stick at some point or another. Even with really good locking tuners they can come out of tune, sometimes easy sometimes with a bit more force. But none IMO stay in tune better than a locked nut, especially if your not using the bar...

Im not a trem user but I like as much flexibility as possible when tuning and rock solid stability when Im there.

I like that I can block, Lock and fine tune and stay in tune even after casing for week....

#17 ·
Of course it's all subjective. The part that is really noticeable though is the vibration of the body with a string through the body vs. Floyd. Blocking with wood really helps this, at least based on my experiences.

I agree, stability is important, I think a great setup has a lot to do with this. I have a Hondo with a Strat trem and Grovers and it stays in tune for days as well.

I've come to the conclusion that a great setup is of vital importance.

#18 ·
The achilies heel of Floyds kept floating and locked is that you can't go from let's say Drop C to Drop B and back on the fly. I play music that requires this. I don't use the trem so I block the trem and ditch the locking nut.

If I did use the locking trem I'd have to switch back and forth between guitars which I'm sure players in that situation do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.