Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RGs with Piezo....

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  maqify 
#1 ·
Do Ibanez still make any RGs with the Piezo pickups with the dual out?..... Seems like a cool idea to make ur electric sound acoustic..... Anyone had any experince with one?... Sound realistic?

Cheers

#3 ·
i think ive owned all the 202X models and some of the 2120's

they are great guitars with a slightly thicker neck than the usual wizard... so they have a meatier tone... which is good for the piezo... if you are looking for an Ibanez piezo i would try find one of these... they have not held their value well so you should be able to get one for £400 or so. Nearly all of them will have had te original pickups replaced with some dimarzio... quite a lot with steve specials and air nortons ala petrucci...

i use a 2020xtb for most gigs... the trick is just what you put your piezo through before it gets to the PA..... it benefits from eq, some reverb, compression and chorus to make it more acoustic-y... but then all piezo's do unless you want that harsh piezo sound.

i used to use a pod XT (great), a BBE acoustimax (ok-to-poor), a pod X3 (great), Zoom A2.1u (great but cant really edit on the fly if it sounds funny)... currenlty im use a pod HD (great) ... which sits ontop of my amp and then runs straight into the PA. I think this works well as you can tweak dials for tone level etc without much hassle.... from audience perspective they cant tell the difference between this and a real acoustic cause its buried in a whole band sound... on its own it doesnt sound like a martin D18 but it sounds like an acoustic guitar

#4 ·
i own a 2120x with air norton and tonze zone. i've also installed an x-bridge into one of my strat with the control-x preamp. piezos are a compromise with acoustic tone, just like all of the amplified "acoustic sounds" that don't include a mic. not that they aren't usable, nothing beats a mic on a dreadnaught... that said. i do love the baggs systems as they are less brittle sounding than most piezo systems and they sparkle better than most magnetic systems. pair it up with a baggs para DI and it's good. with an awesome channel strip(like a neve 1081) and it's amazing(but with a 1081....what isn't?).

rich

#7 ·
They were quite popular, but quite expensive.... so I guess they didnt sell very many of them... they are my favourite RG model...

they also made cheaper versions RG1620 and 1820's (i think they are the right model numbers)

also look out for a RG1520GK .... this paired up with a roland GR55 is awesome!

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.