Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD Prestige RG: which model did I get?

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  jaredrocks58 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Thanks, AySay!

So what's the consensus on these- pretty decent guitar?

I know the pups need to go...or not?

I have no point of reference other than Vai and Satch recordings and obviously these don't sound like Vai or Satch but then again Vai or Satch are not playing my guitar...that would be ME:lol:.

It seems everyone here swaps pups regardless of the Ibanez unless it's a Jem or something. And even then sometimes they do.

So, any pup recommendations or are the stock pups fine?

Are they junk?

I want to get the very most out of the guitar obviously.

Thanks again and input appreciated. I do love the neck on this thing, WOW.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, and Jason Stone, I appreciate that, good point. The grass seems always greener when it comes to pups, right? Especially if you spend too much time on forums.

I may try out a few different neck pups, neck is where I play most. Then again maybe not, sure sounds incredible as-is.

$425 with case and candy, it's a molded J Craft case, a 2004 axe, I did okay?

Didn't really know what I was getting, was a 550 player just expanding my horizons from Strat-land.

Saw the words "Prestige", "Japan" "2004" and almost zero fret wear. Plus saw that case and candy and thought there's no way this is overpriced so I just went for it.

The Strat necks feel like telephone poles now. But I can go back and forth it just takes few minutes to adjust, using classical left hand position anything can be adjusted too.

Thing is now I gotta have 24 frets there are no two ways about it. Period.

I feel like if anyone were to lightly sand the back of that neck the truss rod would be exposed, lol!

(No I ain't sanding anything, love the neck finish).

#12 ·
Thanks guys. Really digging this guitar! There is used (MINT) one in candy apple red, a 2008 w the 5 piece neck at the local shop, just came in on a trade, they are asking $599 FIRM- again it comes with the case and all the candy...

That guitar is literally like-new perfect, not a scratch...why am I feeling this compulsion to go AND BUY ANOTHER? When I just recently got a nice '04...?

It's completely irrational.

Perhaps I need a "backup?:lol:

Good price for an '08 in such perfect condition, I think...I think....I think I'm gonna buy it:roll::lol:

#13 ·
I know what it's called here, don't tell me...nope not "OCD"...here you guys call it "GAS", right?

I have serious GAS for this, I was sleeping dreaming of MINT candy apple red Prestige 1570...

Such beautiful curves on her...

Used to dream about Jenny McCarthy but now...GUITARS?

Something very very wrong with this...8O

#14 ·
the V7 and V8 do just fine if you are around standard tuning. if you try to got to Drop C and lower etc. they suck imo. There is a thread somewhere in this forum that is a tutorial for doing the magnet swap. I did the swap and it sounds much better. It makes the output of your neck pickup higher than that of the bridge. If that is something you dont want than dont do it. Its worth a try its a free mod and imo it sounds better. That is a really great guitar it looks like a no nonsense axe. Take care of that bad boy for all of us

#16 ·
Hey guys, NGD for me but I don't know exactly what this is...

Prestige RG: can you pros tell me which model I got?

Thanks for any input/ info, much appreciated!
-Strad
Btw quite outstanding or remacable that you get a guitar you don't even know what it is. That is buying the big in the sack. Is this the reason people end up with paying for a fake jem?.

#17 ·
I trust the guy I bought it from (friend), he had purchased it new in 2004 and never played it since week 1. Total non-guitarist who bought it on a whim (he is).

I knew it was an MIJ RG Prestige with 3 piece neck, an AANJ and that it was a 2004.

I really couldn't give a crap what number some company decides to assign to an instrument. I care how it feels, how it plays and how it sounds.

I also care about the price.

For $425 it played and sounded like a dream. gladly paid the cash for it and didn't say "geez if I don't know what number Ibanez assigned to this specimen back in '04 I don't want it".

Been playing classical guitar for 34 years I am not a moron.

Now I have learned that the model number assigned is "1570".

My opinion of the guitar has not been affected by this knowledge. Just happy my friends here chimed in, just interesting to learn the model number. But if I could never learn taht info I would not really care.

I love the guitar. "A rose by any other name is still a rose", man.

Hey you just nicknamed my guitar. She is now and forever NOT an "RG1570", nope. She is simply "The Rose".

Also had I seen an RG shaped axe with a monkey grip and a vine inlay and it played as well as the one I played at GC, I would buy it in a heartbeat if a friend wanted to sell for a steal of a price.

Even if I did not know it was called "JEM" or what the exact model # was.

If it sounded and played amazing and was coming from my trusted friend for a great price, I'd take it home.

And then I'd post pics here and ask my friends here what exactly I got.

If that makes me stupid then so be it.

#18 ·
Yeah naturally when a guitar plays well and is non expensive it's a good buy. I am not sure you stated you got it from a friend,not from the start anyway. That's something different.
But normaly without knowing what model a guitar is,there is always a risk of paying to much for it,that's why knowing what model it is could be good. And now it got a nice name too. Put a rainbow in and you got a Winger song.

#21 ·
I have a pair of Evos in a RG and CL/LF in my S1620FB so yea compare and despair. I will say this the V7/V8 sound good clean, but distorted like you said lacks power/character.
Thanks!

Yeah I really love this instrument; I may scope the forum for neck pup opinions and the above sounds like a great start. I tend to spend most of my time at the neck pickup anyway.

Sure sounds great just the way it is, but of course it's when you "upgrade" that you notice the difference!

Thanks again to everyone for the help. Wow what amazing necks on these guitars.

#23 ·
Thanks man, I keep reading about this combination. I might have to try this, though she does sound so sweet, I feel like "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Then again if I never experience what you are talking about, then...well...I'll never know.
So either "ignorance is bliss", or I need to just give in shell out some more money:mrgreen:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.