Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Edge Pro locking studs

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Alfi27 
#1 ·
Hello. I recently bought an Ibanez RG2550E, which is an incredible guitar and the best playing guitar I have ever played! However, after a setup it still will not stay 100% in tune with heavy use of the whammy, so I ordered the locking studs. I understand now that I completely misunderstood what the studs actually was (english is not my first language). The original Edge has locking studs, but cannot accept strings without the ball end cut off, so I was certain that after the mod the Edge Pro could not accept strings without the ball end cut off.
Can someone, in very simple words, explain to me what the difference between a locking and a non-locking stud is?

I also read somewhere, of course after I purchased the studs, that I have to shim the guitar to get the lowest possible action... I neither have the tools nor the capabilities to shim a guitar, and it will be very expensive to make a professional shim it.

Among many things, I also considered exchanging the Pro for an Original Edge or Lo-Pro, but I found the Pro to be the most ergonomic tremolo, and I will sure use palm-muting a lot more than whammy.

#2 ·
Locking studs in no way affect your ability to use the ball ends on an Edge Pro bridge. Your best bet is to click on the Ibanez Rules banner at the top of each page here, and go through the tech section. If you've got some screw drivers and the allen keys that would have come with your guitar you can set it up. ;)

#3 ·
Hello, and thank you for your answer. I have gone through the tech-section, and I changed strings and set it up yesterday. I removed the tremolo, lubricated the knife edges and checked the tremolo for any faults. I could not see anything wrong, and I adjusted everything (except the intonation and truss rod) to be just like the manual and Ibanezrules.com tell me.

I don't want to know how to set it up, I want to know more about the locking studs ;)

#5 ·
Alright, now I have received the locking studs and installed them (no problems with the action) as well as 3 new and shorter (tighter) springs. The tremolo angle is 100% paralell to the body, the studs are locked and the knife edges are lubed. Despite logical thinking, the guitar is now LESS stable than before I installed the new springs and the locking studs...
I have followed every official and unofficial rule in the book, but the guitar just won't stay in tune! My closest guitar tech had even less knowledge about such tremolo systems, so he could just intonate the guitar.
What should I do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.