Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Pawn Shop Rip Off

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  metalheadrew 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

Since everyone here is collectively THE best source for obscure information, I thought I would try this.
I was at Uncle Sam's Pawn Shop in Columbus last week, and they have two, maybe three, of these guitars. (NOTE: the pictures are not mine, I copied them from a 2010 post by Spiralout - I couldn't find any of my own)
They have a teal, an AWESOME pink, and "possibly a yellow one laying around here."

I picked the teal one up and played it - the neck was incredible, and it had a Kahler. I now think it may have been single locking, but honestly didn't pay that close of attention to it. I was drawn in by how 80's it was.

Anyway, my question is - what the hell are these? They're clearly BC Rich copies based on the headstock, but does anyone know who made them? "Made in Korea" is stamped on the back of the neck.

The guitar guy at the pawn shop has $265 written on the tag. I have only found maybe 3 instances on the internet of these guitars. I think two said they purchased one of these for $50-$60.

So, naturally, I called the pawn shop the next day and explained that I knew they were copies. The most I was willing to pay was $100. Pawn Shop Guy absolutely will not budge below $200.

The best part is - HE CLAIMS THEY ARE REAL BC RICH guitars!!!

This can't be true, can it? Any information from anyone would be welcomed. I honestly feel like giving him $150 for all three of the colors they have is more than fair...

Here's the stolen pictures:

See less See more
#8 ·
I've read in one post on the Seymour Duncan forum (maybe? it's hard to keep track of everything I see while I'm "at work") that BC Rich licensed some builds out to Gorilla for a short time. Can't find any other info on it, and the BC Rich forum went the way of Heath Ledger, so that's no help to me either.

It's a big shame - the guitars really aren't that bad, bolt on, MIK little shred machines in cool colors with a gorilla face on the headstock. I'd love to own one (seriously, I want all three colors that d bag has) but I'm not going to pay $200 for it.

As you all understand, it's very frustrating to know what a guitar is worth and to make a reasonable offer on it but have someone who is "in the business" give you an astronomical price tag. I'm a severe addict to awesome, cheap gear - I'm not into overpaying for things.

#11 ·
Sounds like my friend who had an old Aria-Pro II back in high school. I gave him a Jackson Pickup I had laying around and after he took that guitar to a music shop to trade it on something else, the guy had it listed as a custom Jackson, along with a $600 price tag. I don't think that piece of garbage was worth $200 if there were 3 $50 in the trem cavity

#12 ·
They have two or three Aria-Pro IIs at that pawn shop! I want to say they had something like $450 tags on them. It was absurd, and the guy that runs the guitar department acts like he knows everything about everything.
I told him I wanted a cheap shredder, something with a Floyd on it (I don't have a trem guitar currently, but have had a few in the past and wanted to get back to doing non-stop horse whinnies :) ) and he sat down and started county-plucking on some $500 Japanese unbraded guitar. It was a sweet guitar... but nothing that I asked him for.

Hate that place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.