Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Meaning of "JEM" - It's not in the FAQ

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  raijin 
#1 ·
G'day all,

I tried to search the old archive for the origin, and the current archive, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I also checked the FAQ but it doesn't seem to be in there either.

I know it relates to Vai's dealings with Joe Despagni, but not much more than that.

Can someone please shed some light on the origin and then perhaps submit it to Glen for inclusion into the FAQ ?

Cheers,

Tony

#8 ·
Meaning of "JEM"

I threw the same question at Ibanez Japan months ago and I finally got reply from them. Here's a translation of the letter:

Thank you for your inquiry.
As you may already know, there are many theories concerning the origin of the name, "JEM".
What we were told when the Ibanez JEM series first started was that the name of Steve Vai's technician at Performance guitars was "Jem". Since the name "JEM" can also be found on Steve Vai's guitars during the years with Performance guitars, we are pretty certain this is where the name came from.

- raijin

edit- spelling

(Edited by raijin at 7:42 am on April 3, 2002)

#9 ·
Meaning of "JEM"

Frozen1 on 3:52 am on Mar. 12, 2002
JEM & the HOLOGRAMS ! yeah that cartoon was pure retro trash *LMAO* anyways my sister had the
set of dolls they came with guitars & a bass (bright pink & silver no less) & yeah they were b.c rich
inspired mockingbirds not ibanez 777's.
Dude, they were totally hot. I was in love with Jem herself, that's why I came here in the first place. I thought it was a forum dedicated to her. But when I realized it wasn't, I thought I'd better at least go out and buy some Ibanez guitars, before someone thought I was a freak or something. :biggrin:

#10 ·
Meaning of "JEM"

raijin on 7:39 am on April 3, 2002
I threw the same question at Ibanez Japan months ago and I finally got reply from them. Here's a translation of the letter:

Thank you for your inquiry. As you may already know, there are many theories concerning the origin of the name, "JEM". What we were told when the Ibanez JEM series first started was that the name of Steve Vai's technician at Performance guitars was "Jem". Since the name "JEM" can also be found on Steve Vai's guitars during the years with Performance guitars, we are pretty certain this is where the name came from.
Judging by their response here, Ibanez of Japan is misinformed :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.