Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Can someone explain charvels to me please

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  asix 
#1 ·
Ok, I've been kinda gassing for a 1 humbucker 80's style guitar for a long time. charvel seems the "obvious" choice, but I cant make heads or tails of their models! I know they should have some "cost effective" models made in usa that dont cost $2k+... that said, I don't which models are which, or what I should be looking for. NOT looking for hardtails, and NOT looking for kahlers! haha

Any advice/info greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
They are pretty pricey these days if you are looking for a USA made one.

Best bet is to do what I did and build a Charvel style guitar. I built mine from a MIM alder Strat body, Warmoth neck with stainless steel frets and 10-16" compound radius fretboard, EVH Frankenstein humbucker and a specially made bridge made from titanium and brass components that I had made to suit the 2-1/16" screw spacing on the import/ MIM Strats, but saddles set to 2-1/8" to be more like Floyd Rose spacing.

Cost me around $600 all up, finished the neck myself with a poly clear on the neck. The bridge I was lucky enough to get for free in exchange for review. The costs included shipping to Australia for the body and neck, so it would be a bit cheaper for you as well.

#5 · (Edited)
If you want a really good value and aren't dead set on the USA versions, I would look for an 86-90 Model 2, or Model 5a. They are basically the same, the 5a is neck thru the 2 is bolt. Single hum, Jackson JT-6 trems, pointy heads, MIJ.

I think any of the US versions are going to cost you ALOT more. You can find model 2's for under 300 fairly frequently. There is also the model 1 which is single hum, but it will have a vintage style trem.

#6 ·
Id prefer a legit charvel honestly. I just don't know what model to look for haha.

Phantom -. if that had a floyd on it man, I'd LOVE that haha. I also saw the striped series, they definitely look to be worth every penny.

I would prefer MIA or MIJ to be blunt. A warmoth option does sound pretty good though!

#7 ·
I'm a big fan of the Charvel Fusion. It's an MIJ superstrat with an interesting selling point--it's called a fusion because it's a strat shape with 24 frets, but the 24.75" Les Paul scale length, meaning that you get all 24 frets and a neck pickup right in the sweet spot (if you buy into that stuff). It's one of the fastest, thinnest non-Ibanez necks I've ever played. Give it a look!

#14 ·
if you're on a budget go for a mid 80's/early 90's charvel model 2...made in japan with great build quality...

a little more money and you can find a used so cal (strat head with a pickguard) that you can replace the guard and convert easily to a one humbucker...

alas anything over that is going to be a custom shop (they don't make production run single humbucker guitars anymore that i'm aware of) and that will cost you an arm and leg...d.m.

#15 ·
All 3 runs of the modern Charvel Stratheads are killer; the USA, MIJ, and now the MIM.

The main differences are small, the MIJ have better neck and fretwork, IMO, the MIM's have recessed trems, the USAs came in more (and better) colors.

Any Socal with a pickguard swap would work well.

#16 · (Edited)
i think you want a model 2. look on ebay pay $200 to $500 ish depending on condition.

thats mine its a 88 or 89 the years it was that color. plays nice quite a slim neck but not like a modern u. the pup is a bit thin and ive never really tested the trem.

she is my fave guitar. its comfortable and very simple. the action is very low and really playable. she was almost unplayed despite being 20 years old when i got her.

the nasty carpet is at my parents house i took it there the day a got it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.