Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New body for dud Jem

3K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  alrob7 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a Jem 77vbk which i've owned from new which has zero sustain,harmonics or tone. I have been down every avenue of investigation with it and my tech has told me to try a new body for it.

Im really wanting to know,assuming my original basswood body is the culprit, can i achieve the same kinda tone and sustain of a real jem body if i where to try a custom body?

Also does anybody have any opinions on Area 51 customs based here in the uk?

Sorry if i sound a bit short, i always prefer to talk to folks in person.

Any help would be truly appreciated,

Kind Regards

Allan 8)

#3 ·
Thanks Sebastian, But the stage were at with it now is way beyond any possible setup issues, as i've said there is no sustain,even with a very high action,and the pups lowered right down.

There is a frequency warble on almost every note across the fretboard,including open strings, including when the guitar is played unplugged. These overtones i am sure are responsible for the poor resonance.

We have tested with all action heights and pickup heights,and checked neck join with no improvement whatsoever.

If i try a different body i will know one way or the other immediately.

Cheers Allan

#10 · (Edited)
Area 51 Customs does absolutely immaculate work. They have been recommended by Michael at LiveWire guitars as well. I've had many email exchanges with Zack there--super nice guy and unlike other replacement body vendors, he'll do just about anything with any neck pocket size.

I'll be using them for a future project for sure, even though I'll have to pay overseas shipping.

But that said, I think the best Jem body is a REAL Jem body, so if you really must replace it... I'd watch the 'Bay, or otherwise try to find a genuine one.

#11 ·
My jem has similar harmonic wobbles, but only really with gain. Seems to be the non fretted strings resonating. When i make a special effort to mute unfretted strings it goes away.

It's an 88 FP set up with 9s. I tried dropping the pickups right down but it didn't make any difference.

Anyone have any ideas. Pups seem a bit microphonic, could re potting them help?

#24 ·
Deadspots on the neck maybe (or a big deadspot). Broken/loose truss rod "deadening" the sound.

Might be an idea to post a recording. Potentially with another "like" guitar against your existing rig (same settings, etc). It might turn out that we all think your tone is great and you simply are a Les Paul kind of guy

This thread could become a really really long one. You seem to be a very patient guy.

#25 ·
Thanks Ibateur,

We've checked alot and the neck seems great,and posting recordings is a good idea once i've got my post count up.

And as far as the rig is concerned,at the moment i'm only going through the toneport interface,into the pc,and using gearbox for simulation,as i sold the big stuff years ago. So just basic sounds right now.

The jem was a dream gift for myself, for when i could start playing again,when other things whern't getting in the way.

I have an old strat with a broken truss rod,twisted neck,and is really in a poor state, but harmonically it kills the jem.

#27 ·
The way he describes it (tantamount to "lacks any kind of tone") I can only imagine a tone black hole either at the base or at the nut. The rest of the neck should not suck tone that badly.

OR - indeed - the body has some serious issue such as wood filler near where the neck screws are or laminates separating under the paint. Unimaginable to me.

Alrob, if you tap around the body while keeping your ear on it, do you hear any differences?

#33 ·
First off, this actually does not sound bad in terms of "tone"

In terms of sustain, yes, the high notes seem short. Could be pick-up issues (too high, for example).

On the bridge, are the high-string saddles "clean"? There might be gunk built up or grooves causing vibration to stall.

#34 · (Edited)
Thanks Ibateur, i wish it was something as simple as pickup height,and everythings clean on the guitar,but i must say that after having a look under the pickguard there is what i think must be fine sawdust in there, and i also noticed there is no,is it sheilding,in the pup cavities,is this normal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.