Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Apex II Refinish - Particle Board? Huh!?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sebastian 
#1 ·
My Ibanez Apex II is currently away being refinished in a natural/ebony stain (similar to an M8M). The guy just finished sanding the gross, green factory finish off and called to tell me that he found... get this...

... a layer of particle board on the headstock face (under the paint).

What the hell? Anyone heard of this before? How is putting a layer of particleboard on the face of a headstock, under the paint, cheaper/faster than finishing the guitar traditionally? Is there some other reason Ibanez would do this?

Removing said particle board would add money and time to the project, so I had to modify my plans, have him leave it in place, and lay solid black over it instead. Annoyed, but I need to stay within budget.

#3 ·
Heh, I asked Pat for progress pics a long time ago, and he never sent any. I think he's just really slammed (and why my next refinish job will go to LiveWire instead).

So, I doubt he'll send pics of this, but I did ask him for his theories on why they'd do this. I just don't see how this technique would be faster/cheaper than normal finishing.

#5 ·
I've heard (never actually having taken a sander to one) that the JEM7V used to (and maybe still does) have a basswood laminate over the body in order to ensure that there's as little sinking as possible of the paint into the grain of the alder body.

Maybe this is the same sort of idea, to ensure a flat, grain free surface to paint...?

#7 ·
Your info is correct (except that they use maple, not basswood) The maple veneer doesn't allow the finish to seep into the grain over many years. This is why you can see the grain in the finish of most old strats........ Alder is fairly porous.

You can see the maple cap on my UV. You just have to look close.

Maestro: I'd have to see pics to believe it's particle board. The would be as counter productive as using cardboard.

#8 ·
I've been doing some research, including posting this experience on other forums.

Turns out, the use of fiberboard (not exactly the run-of-the-mill kind we're all thinking of) isn't all that uncommon. Even Gibson and other high-end manufacturers have used this technique for years "to make the application of the finish to the headstock more uniform and allow for easier logo installation."

So there ya go.

Apparently, it's relatively easy to sand off too--moreso than the usual sealer/primer/etc. So, this sort of flies in the face of what the luthier told me, but unfortunately I took him at his word and instructed him to proceed with a solid finish on the headstock. Ah well, live and learn I guess. I'll be sending my next refinish project to someone else.

#10 ·
I took my RGA8 apart last night.
There is something funny with the wood on this thing.
Under the trem and in the neck pocket it looks like plywood.
It's not solid wood for sure.
I'm going to route it for a Dimarzio single coil and I need to fix the rear trem anchor too, it pulled out.
The darn thing was only in 1/4 in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.