Ibanez JEM Forum banner

540S vs 540R

7K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  corey j grieve 
#1 ·
Okay, this is something that has been driving me crazy for months now and I need some help deciding my next possible NGD.

So during the 1st Jemsiter Congress in Tokyo, I went to Ishibashi in Ochanomizu and played this BEAUTY of a guitar, a 540R:

http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/03-316601707?sFlg=0

It is a guitar in need of some lovin, and I really fell in love with this 540R when I touched it (I ended up buying my 685 that day :lol: )

Now, a local shop (the same place that I bought my 550 and 560) has this GORGEOUS 540S (1990):

http://komehyo.jp/disp/CSfGoodsPage_001.jsp?GOODS_NO=455515

Now, I don't know which one I want more... the 540S is HSH and while I have basically only HSH (except my Carvin and 560) I'm not a huge fan of HSS. However, the 540R is VERY different from everything I have (body shape, 22 frets, etc) and it's a sad little 540R that has been sitting in Ochanomizu for a long time. I7ve been gassing for an S for awhile (I was very active in asking about S series in the S series thread, and even went and tried out an S prestige a couple months ago, loved it).

The issue is, I love them both, but each has something about it that I'm not too happy with. I have seen an HH 540R around but it's damn near 700 bucks, way out of my budget. I'm looking for something more reasonably priced (the 540S is cheaper and local, but not THAT much cheaper).

If you had to choose one of these for your NGD, which would you choose and why?

See less See more
#2 ·
If it were me i'd snap up the 540r, theres something about a guitar with no straight/flat edges that just draws me in. If the hss config is not your bag swap out the neck pick up with a dimarzio air norton s double rail pickup or a tone zone, i have a air noryon s in the neck of one of mine and it sounds amazing.

#4 ·
.........I'm not a huge fan of HSS.......
This tells me you've never played an H-S-S with a single size hum in the neck- BOTH coils positioned directly under the 24th fret harmonic sweet spot...... Try it and you may never go back. The single size DiMarzio hums are slightly lower in output, but their presence and articulation in the sweet spot MORE than make up for it.

I just tried the Fast Track 2 in the neck of my 1560.......talk about creamy, singing leads.......think Gary Moore. I now have an extra AN-S. I think Jesse was looking for one????

#5 ·
Yes, I was asking you for an extra Air Norton S :D

What you guys are missing is the key difference between these two guitars:

Radius - Ultra neck

Saber - Wizard neck

The Ultra neck is much fatter and a tiny bit narrower at the nut (42 mm). Personally I'd go for the Radius as I prefer that neck.

#11 ·
Well I know about the necks and when I tried the Radius I had no issues with it. When I think about it now, it's similar to the thin neck profile of my JB (slightly different shape but thickness is similar). The neck issue isn't really a big deal as I love the ultra wizard.

#13 ·
My friend is going to sell me his Hughes and Kettner Edition blue 60w for pretty cheap. Tried the 30w version and it sounded great, just needs a little depth at higher volume, which is where stuff like a BB preamp or some other warm booster will cover :D Could just use my 9/9 and that will solve everything :)

#7 ·
I'll echo what Takin' a Ride a ride said...to me it primarily comes down to the neck. If you don't like the fatter neck on the R then go with the S. Otherwise I would go with the R because it will be different from the other guitars you have.

Neither guitar is super rare, but IMO the R's are harder to come by than the S so that's another reason i would scoop it up. The color is sweet and usually you can only find it on an '87 (which has the annoying individual toggle switches). The blue burst is very hard to come by on a '91 or '92 (the one you're looking at...forget the year) and when they offered it the second it was for one year only i think and you rarely see them.

I also prefer the body contour of the R...the S is a little too flat for me, but that's just personal preference. Tough decision...both are beautiful guitars. But for me, i'd jump on the radius.

#8 ·
Actually it appears that the blueburst and redburst were the only finishes offered on the HSS Radius from 1990-93.

I just learned about a guitar that I never knew existed, the 540RS (short scale), available only 1991-92. It had a 24.0" scale and was available in blueburst. in the catalog they appear to have small dots, so that's probably not what this guitar is.

#9 · (Edited)
Actually it appears that the blueburst and redburst were the only finishes offered on the HSS Radius from 1990-93.
na...i had a 1990 jewel blue HSS. Also have a black '91 and jewel blue '90 (although neither of these are HSS.

(from ibanez wiki)
Finishes: 1987: BB (Bright Blue Burst) / BK (Black) / BR (Bright Red Burst)
1988-1989: BK (Black) / JB (Jewel Blue) / JR (Jewel Red) / SK (Shocking Pink) / JW (Jewel White)/FB (Fountain Blue) (1988)
1990-1991: BK (Black) / CM (Coral Mist Metallic) / JB (Jewel Blue) / RR (Ruby Red) / WH (White)
1992-1994: BB (Bright Blue Burst) / BK (Black) (1992) / BR (Bright Red Burst) / WH (White) (1992)

maybe what you say is true for 1992, but not '90-'91. Too bad ibanez wiki doesn't break down the colors for HSS, HSH vs HH. i'll have to look at the old catalogs to see if there is more info. Either way those burst colors are sick and most that do pop up are 1987's. I have one of each bb and rb and those are '87s

#19 ·
Loving both the Radius and the S Series, I would choose the S series over the two.
The mahogany body gives it a certain tone which I love!!
The color on this looks fantastic in person, and you can't go wrong with an original Edge trem. Looks to be in very good condition as well...

#20 ·
That's where I'm leaning at the moment. Also, I have also bought 2 guitars from that store before (my 550CA and 560PN) and it's local. However, I WILL be in Tokyo in December and knowing Ishi, that Radius will probably still be there. I can try it out again if I want to.

I have been gassing for an S after playing a 5470 prestige a couple months ago, but prestige S are so expensive. This Golden era S would be great for me, but I need to go try it out. Will do that Sunday. If I like it I just may grab it on the spot :lol:

If I put it on my CC, I'll get owned on interest but if it's my only option, then that's my only option :lol:

#23 ·
My decision is so hard because 1. I love sharktooth inlays and I love the condition of the S but 2. that 540R needs a home, Supposedly, it has been sitting in Ochanomizu collecting dust for ages. I think with even a few dings on it, it needs to be part of the guitar rescue program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.