Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jem fixer upperer

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  RGTFanatic 
#1 ·
I'd be interested to hear what you all think of this Jem that I got my hands on.

I bought a Jem of my girlfriends neighbour - it was nasty. Started fixing it up, found out that the neck was warped beyond repair. Best thing that could have happened to it!

I replaced the tremolo and tuners, and had a local luthier build a custom neck with rosewood fretboard and maple inlays. I got an aftermarket pickguard so that I could ditch the middle pickup - I feel like they get in the way. It's back at the luthier now getting some finishing touches around playability, but I like how it's come out.

I'll drop one picture here, but for the full picture of the transformation here's the imgur album.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Ice_monsta lovely guitar!, just a question, is this "Ibanez" logo on the headstock made by the luthier? Did he build the neck from scratch? Admittedly this is a lovely neck. I was just wandering about the legitimacy! (just by looking at it arghhh this GAS is coming again....)
edit :
ooops i found out, the decal is from ebay. Very cool looking!

#7 ·
The decal in the album is from ebay, but that was on the original warped neck. The logo on the headstock of the finished guitar is from the luthier (and it's wooden the same as the inlays). I have a feeling that Ibanez might not like that it's been done unofficially, but It would have looked ridiculous with anything else on the headstock!

#9 ·
It was a while ago that it was described. It was an outward bow up to the fifth fret then an inward bow the other way from memory. Also, whilst I was with the luthier the tiniest of truss rod adjustments snapped the headstock from the neck at the join. He reglued that, but afterwards was when he said he'd done his best with the neck it wasn't going to cut it considering the amount I had spent on the new floyd rose trem. Up to around the 7th fret was playable then it got a huge gap until about the 18th fret. So it kind of bowed in the middle but from the headstock to the 5th ish was kind of bowing outward as well.

Not sure about the laminate sorry.

I'm surprised at the amount of attention the old neck is getting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.