Ibanez JEM Forum banner

JS line better with 22 frets

6K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Ekim 
#1 ·
Does anyone else not like that the JS line has switched to almost entirely 24 frets? I preferred when it was 22 frets. I think the guitars looked better. I think the Paf Joe pickup and placement sounds better than the necks in the 24s. I'm wondering if I'm not alone in this. I suppose for variety's sake it's good that there was a 24 fret option but now with the 24p and the JS140 there is only one 22 fret guitar left and who knows if that will stay around for next years NAMM. Let me know what you guys think.

#9 ·
I've not taken to the new 24 fret guitar. I know looks are not supposed to be the important thing, but I can't get past the fact that the 24 fret guitar looks "empty". The extra body mass and the twin humbuckers "made" the JS to me. I can understand Joe wanting to try the 24 fret thing. I have more JEMs and RGs than JSs because I also prefer 24 frets, but I just don't hink what they did to the JS worked to convert it from a 22 to a 24 fret guitar.

I do however love the muscle car colours :D

#17 ·
Found a yellow one for 55000 yen... and a few of the older ones that were black with a colour highlight, yellow doesn't seem to work on a 540r.

Nice prices too, but I have no idea what the shipping costs would be to the UK. I'm not in a position to buy anyway, but I'll keep a look out on the sites I've found.

Are there any sites you recommend?

Completely hijacked this thread, my apologies.

#18 ·
Found a yellow one for 55000 yen... and a few of the older ones that were black with a colour highlight, yellow doesn't seem to work on a 540r.

Nice prices too, but I have no idea what the shipping costs would be to the UK. I'm not in a position to buy anyway, but I'll keep a look out on the sites I've found.

Are there any sites you recommend?

Completely hijacked this thread, my apologies.
I dunno if it's okay to say any names in public. I don't wanna sound like I'm supporting one place or another :?

#19 ·
It's funny - for decades, people used to complain that they loved the JS line, but wouldn't buy one because they only had 22 frets. :lol:

I probably have a slight preference for 22 fret guitars over 24, but at the end of the day neither is a deal breaker for me - I'm sitting here with a 24 fret Suhr Modern 7 on my lap that's taken up all my playtime for a bit more than a year now.

#20 ·
It's funny - for decades, people used to complain that they loved the JS line, but wouldn't buy one because they only had 22 frets. :lol:
Yeah but there's a difference between having given the guitar 24 frets and having altered the body shape, moved the lower cutaway and changed the pickup configuration...

Granted these are not individually that big a change but together have made a real difference to the overall look of the guitar.

#22 ·
There are plenty of JS1000s out there but there's no chance that any new guitars will come out with 22 frets which is a shame. I guess from a collector's standpoint it's good that there's now a limited number of 22 fret guitars and there won't be any more.

#29 ·
Funny how the 22 frets and thicker neck was the reasons i stayed away from the JS... until i tried one and completely fell in love with the guitar, i haven't tried the 24 frets models but i like them aesthetically, i'd definitely be getting one in the future.

And about the ultralight trem bar i honestly don't see anything wrong with it, i actually like it a little more than the regular bar.

#32 ·
Joe goes through phases with his gear. On a couple occasions he was introducing and playing fixed bridge JS guitars, and for a while his new guitars were mahogany. Right now he's on a 24 fret kick. He may very well go back to 22. I wouldn't overthink it.

Anyway, it's HIS guitar, so he can do pretty much whatever he wants with them. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.