Ibanez JEM Forum banner

what 7 string would best replace a ibanez universe?

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Joachim1603 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a seven string. I was originally considering an Ibanez universe but they are expensive. what other 7 string models of Ibanez would best match the quality and tone of the superior universe guitars?

#3 ·
The ibanez rg7620 are sweet guitars. I'd recommend them. The premium line is debatable, I have seen some nice premiums, and some not so nice as far as quality and workmanship. You'd be better off saving for a used universe than buying a premium.

For 1300 you can get a carvin dc700. They are awesome guitars too.

#4 ·
Either a RG1527 or a RG7620 are your best bet. A 1527 might be a little easier to pick up, and IMO they were introduced right around a really good period for Ibanez - I had an '04, I think 1527 in galaxy blue that I sold because I didn't get on with the DActivators, and it probably had the best Ibanez 7 string neck I've ever played. Still kicking myself for not trying a pickup swap first. :lol:

With a better set of pickups, it's absolutely conceivable my PWH would have been the one that got sold. It was a great guitar.

#5 · (Edited)
RG7620. I miss mine. The RG1527 is very similar with an Edge Pro but the RG7620 came with a LoPro Edge. The RG752 looks very similar to an RG7620 but I haven't played one yet.
My favorite 7 pickups are the Blaze Custom in the bridge and the Blaze neck.
The RG752 comes with PAF-7's though which a lot of people seem to like.

I should add I've played the Premium Universe and it's actually pretty good.

#8 ·
The 7620 and 1527 are very similar spec-wise, but have very different neck carves. The 7620 is a little more C-shaped, though not quite so much as the older UVs, while the 1527 is more of a D with thicker shoulders, and to me felt a lot more like the newer Universes I've played. I THINK they're the same thickness as each other, but don't quote me on that.

Which you prefer is personal preference - to me, I definitely preferred the 1527 carve. It seems like the same carve as the 2027 and CST (I've all three, just never at the same time, so there's a little bit of memory involved here), and it's my favorite of the Ibanez 7-string neck profiles.

If you've played the older UV neck carve though and really liked that, you might be better off with a 7620.

#12 · (Edited)
The 7620 and 1527 are very similar spec-wise, but have very different neck carves. The 7620 is a little more C-shaped, though not quite so much as the older UVs, while the 1527 is more of a D with thicker shoulders, and to me felt a lot more like the newer Universes I've played. I THINK they're the same thickness as each other, but don't quote me on that.

Which you prefer is personal preference - to me, I definitely preferred the 1527 carve. It seems like the same carve as the 2027 and CST (I've all three, just never at the same time, so there's a little bit of memory involved here), and it's my favorite of the Ibanez 7-string neck profiles.

If you've played the older UV neck carve though and really liked that, you might be better off with a 7620.
Dude, I know I've mentioned it before so this will be the last time I bug you with it........

YOU HAVE TO TRY AN RG752!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, it's the only 7 that I've ever had in my hands that feels like the 1527 carve. The neck on mine was almost identical to my '08 1527. My son has the 752 and he agrees.

The 752 is the perfect marriage between a 1527 and 7620. IMO, it is absolutely the best "bang for your buck" 7-string Ibanez has ever done. I love it so much I'm buying a second that neither of my sons are going to touch....LOL

#9 ·
The JEM7V7WH. :wink:
I wonder what Ibanez' overall marketing strategy is with moving the Universe model to the Premium line and replacing its long held spot next to the JEM with a "7 string JEM?"

There are a handful of Ibanez MIJ 7 strings that are fantastic but you can not always count on them being available on the used market. The RG7620 is still readily available though. They are commanding higher prices now but I think they are still a bargain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.