Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez Reference Guides?

Tags
rg550
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 ·
Howdy!

I searched the forum for several minutes before posting this question: Is there a buyer's guide or some resource that someone has compiled comparing specs on the RG series guitars?

My specific interest is in trying to nail down which models/years were the Japanese made RGs... My benchmark for comparison is the 87-91(?) RG 550... I missed out on a nice RG550 the other day and before I try to pull the trigger on another one, I want to make sure I don't bypass similar models that are close. I'm most interested in the Edge Trem and MIJ for $600 or less... I'm also for whatever reason not too keen on sharkfin inlays (prefer dots).

This is just for noodling and shredding late at night.

Thanks!

#2 ·
All RG550s were made in Japan, ibanez equipped its guitars with the Original Edge Trem for about 91 more or less, then started to use the Lo-Pro Edge on most of their guitars, both trems are excellent if thats your concern, other models to keep in mind are the RG570 (No pick guard, Rosewood fretboard) and if you can get pass the sharkfin inlays the RG750 was pretty much the top of the line RG, the F2 and F4 pick ups are highly sought after among Ibanez fans.

#3 ·
Not very experienced at blogging. .happily ignorant till now..here goes...I had an ibanez USA custom made guitar given to me several years ago..no model #..made in North Hollywood CA. I would love to know who made it and who it was made for...it does have a serial# on the Japanese neck...this is an amazing guitar and I would like to know it's history (know this kid in a metal band who would spit nails to get it) He asked me about it..if you can't help can you point me the right way..I don't even own a PC...just a phone...thanks

#5 ·
From experience what you're describing is a guitar with a Case Ave. N Hollywood plate and a Fujigen made neck with "Custom Made" plaque at the 21st fret. If that's the case there is nothing custom shop about the guitar. It could have been custom ordered with different pickup and control layout, but typically every one of them will be straight catalog models. 1991 models shown here

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1991/index.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.