Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jemsite a decade ago

Tags
jemsite
2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  doriangrey 
#1 ·
Is the Jemsite (for me) is harder to browse compared to how it used to be 10 years ago?

The Jemsite was my go to site for look up Jems and info about other Ibanez guitars. I especially got a real joy at looking at custom guitars. I find it harder to find stuff now.

I was just wondering why the change.

#2 ·
I don't think the site layout has changed much in the last decade - the VB software is a new version, but it's pretty similar otherwise.

I DO think, however, that both the site runs slower (maybe not in absolute terms, but certainly compared to the rest of the internet), and it's a lot less active than it used to be.

Also, join date May 2016?

#7 ·
Now that the new owners have had some time to settle in I'm hoping to have some conceptual ideas for the homepage (switch to wordpress for example?). Because the heart of jemsite is it's community you will have some input in this process. Hopefully we can have a more formal thread to get ideas & prioritize a site map.

Ideally jemsite (frontpage) will have a restored JEM/UV section with specs & photos for each model going back to the 777. Not sure where the old site stuff is on the ftp server (hidden or long ago deleted) but it's a good reference for certain to add the missing pieces... glen

#8 ·
Waybackmachine could probably help if they want to spend some time getting back in touch with the spirit of the old site.

I do think, though, that a problem Jemsite will have is that the internet is just a lot more fragmented and more differentiated than it used to be. Back in the day, while nominally an Ibanez JEM fan discussion site, it was also one of the best discussion boards out there if you wanted to talk about Ibanez guitars, seven string guitars, Satriani guitars, and really shred guitar in general. Today, there are a lot more niche communitiues to choose from - Ibanez has a forum, Vai has a forum, there are dedicated seven string forums, etc. I think the potential audience just isn't as big as it was back in Jemsite's heyday - today, it's a site mostly for Ibanez collectors, it seems.

Glen, glad to see you still have a hand in running the day to day part of this place, though - I learned a ton and was exposed to some seriously good music, some from members, over the maybe 15 years I've been a member here, and have made some pretty good friends. :)

#9 ·
It's a different site now, that's for sure...However, everything changes in life. Musical styles, hair styles, clothing styles, home decorations, and yes, even website layouts...

If it were up to me we'd go back to 1978 and use rotary dial phones. Then there'd be no Internet at all.

This is an enjoyable thing where I think the people are the most important thing to come back to. Glen is still here, Rich is still here, and I mean El Cid hasn't changed at all...So we always have that to hang our hats on!

#13 ·
I've learned a ton on this site over the years and met many very cool people online here but it would be nice to see some work done to improve the site. For example, the reviews section - I don't know why it's still up because it doesn't even work (when I click on a review it takes me to a blank page) and the reviewer's club thing never did happen. Not trying to negative because again I am grateful for what the site brings but it needs some work...

#15 ·
I just tried again to look at a couple of reviews and none of them worked - I just get directed to a page with the header, tabs and name of the reviewed item but nothing else comes up - basically a blank page. I would love to see the reviews section brought back to life because many of us suffer from GAS and I think most people are like me in that they like to read online reviews before they buy something =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.