Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Pickups for an RG1570 (6 string basswood trem with maple neck/rosewood board)

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have an RG1570 Prestige Ibanez, Basswood body with a trem, tremol-no, maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I'm looking to replace the Neck and Bridge pickups.

I'd like something similar to Tony Rombolas tone (Godsmack) in "keep away"
Link:
Or:

I love that grind. Really I will have this Guitar tuned in anything between E standard and drop D. Not lower than that. I have a Schecter Hellraiser I will be using for lower tunings. That's a whole other thread though. I know Tony uses the JB a lot, but I've heard that basswood can make the JB sound like gabbage.

I'm running through a Blackstar HT5r and a Mesa Rectoverb 50 Combo.

#7 ·
He was a Gibson guy, right? That's going to be the bigger difference here, a shorter-scale neck through mahogany guitar vs a longer scale bolt on maple neck on a basswood body.

The Tone Zone might not be a bad way to go if you're looking for a thicker, middier sound out of a RG. I've never tried a JB in basswood, but it's probably comparable based on my experience with it elsewhere (the stock JB in a Charvel San Dimas, JB7 in a Schecter, and a Wolfetone rewould JB7 currently in my Suhr) to a Tone Zone, with the major difference being a little less snarl, and a proven track record of working in 25.5" basswood guitars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.