Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Strings are too tight and sound muffled on Lo Pro Edge

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Whereishumhum 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

First post here. I have a 1998 RG 7620 with a Lo Pro Edge unit. I did some setup on this guitar yesterday, the action, intonation, angle of the bridge and truss rod all seemed fine.

There is only one problem, the string felt really really tight, I can't even fully bend a full step up. Also, the low B string sounded really muffled/muted, like a very old string would, but the string was brand new and fresh out of the box. If it is any relevant, the previous owner set it up in ADGCFAD (full step down) tuning, while I set it up in drop A tuning. The string gauges I used was 10-13-17-26-36-46-56. I also tried adjusting string claw screws to balance the tension.

I use three springs in the back, as well as a Tremol-No unit.

#2 ·
Is it your first seven string? I've been playing them so long that I barely notice anymore but I've always thought that the trem on a seven string felt "stiffer" because of the added tension that the low B imparts, so there's a little less give when you bend.

No notes are choking or anything, though? That would certainly explain the B string. Also, a 56 in A is awfully loose, you might want to try a heavier string there. I use a 62 or 64, I forget exactly, in B standard - I used to use a 68 because that's all Elixir offered bigger than a 56 (which was way too loose for me with 10s in standard), but recently have begun using a single string bass Elixir for the low B, and it sounds perfectly normal.

#3 ·
Thanks Drew!

Yeah this is my first seven string. And actually this is my first guitar with a FR based tremolo. The bridge itself felt normal, but the strings certainly don't. No notes on any frets were choking, but the low B string (low A for me) is not loose but incredibly tight. I can barely bend that string, and even when I play it open, it sounds so muffled and barely had much sustain.

I can't think of what could have gone wrong when I was doing the setup. The strings this guitar came with sounded perfectly fine.

#8 ·
my 7620 nor 7420 have that issue..i use the 56 for my low b and if anything it is just a tad sloppy...as for the edge trem? once its setup to your liking you wont have to do it again unless you change tunings or string gauge...i'd give it a little time if i were you before selling it...d.m.

#14 ·
Wow, thanks to everyone who chimed in and wrote these information! After spending some more time with this guitar I'm slowly getting used to it. For now, I set the guitar to dive only mode with Tremol-No and just use it very occasionally. Whenever I'm restringing the guitar, I always block it with Tremol-No and a coin block I made myself. It feels perfectly normal and sounds killer now.

However I'd like to add that the initial low string I set it up with was still very tight. But since that was my first experience with setting up a 7 string FR, I might have done something wrong and didn't know it.

For now I'll stick with this 7620 and make some music with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.