Jemsite - View Single Post - Neck pickup shootout: Evolution vs PAF Pro in a RG550RFR
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Drew

Neck pickup shootout: Evolution vs PAF Pro in a RG550RFR

I wanted something pretty over-the-top in this guitar since, well, it's bright red, so I'd originally ordered an Evo neck and Evo 2 bridge for it. I just couldn't gel with the Evo, though, so after a week and a half of wishing it was a PAF Pro, I called up Dimarzio and arranged for a swap. I shot some video and captured a DI before I sent it out, though, so when I got the replacement in I did the same and threw together an A/B comparison of the two, as when trying to make my mind up I was kind of surprised I couldn't find one on YouTube.

The PAF Pro is clearly brighter, deeper, and sort of more "alive" and open clean, though the differences in tone distorted are less pronounced than I would have expected. If anything, the PAF Pro is a hair darker, though the more open attack (IMO of course) seems to make it a little clearer and more responsive. It FEELS very different to me, though, the Evolution feels stiffer, this feels bouncier, and I'm pretty happy with it - this really is my favorite neck humbucker I've ever played.

Anyway, these are two pickups Vai used at various points in his career, and it's a neon RG, so I figured you guys would get a kick out of this. There are cut points in the description on Youtube if you want to be able to jump around quickly.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome