Jemsite - View Single Post - 1989 JEM777VBK Restoration
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
pteropid
Contributor

Re: 1989 JEM777VBK Restoration

One thing that was initially very concerning was the headstock decals. The JEM logo was missing and the Ibanez logo had been masked and clear coated. I’m assuming that back in the 90’s when it was repaired they gave up on the fine detailed JEM part of the logo and just focussed on preserving the larger Ibanez name and banner. During the tear-down I checked all the factory stamps and pickup press marks and everything was legit, so I knew it wasn’t a fake, just a mess. Whoever did the clear coat must have been drunk and passed out halfway through as the headstock paint job is an absolute joke.

I'm not going to redo the paint job on the body, as I find I can relax when playing her, I'm not worrying about bumps or if the kids pick her up and have a strum. That is the complete opposite to my '88 FP, I can't relax when I play her and usually only last about 5 minutes before cleaning and putting her back on display.

If anyone can suggest a good way to restore the headstock logos I’m all ears. I considered ordering some water decal paper and printing my own then doing a clear coat, but I don’t really want to screw it up.

All up she's cost me about $3,200 (~$2,300 USD). Which is pretty much what I would pay for one in good-very good condition. She'll never be mint, but that doesn't matter to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JEM777VBK04.jpg (118.7 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by pteropid; 04-10-2019 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Obviously can't spell, must be getting old.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome