Jemsite - View Single Post - Reverb asks, “Will Immersive Audio Change the Future of Music?”
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Given To Fly

Re: Reverb asks, “Will Immersive Audio Change the Future of Music?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I love the idea of this but I don't see (hear?) how this is going to work... Especially through headphones...

I watched the video of the guy with the beard and the glasses and I get the true left to right thing, but how can it model the up down and forwards backwards dimensions? There doesn't seem enough available "speakerage" in a pair of headphones... I certainly got a left/right idea with more echo but none of the videos seemed to have overhead noise, or front/back noise, things were very much left/right...

Most of the folks I see are still using the standard headphones that come with their phone, or have upgraded to some that look like they're from 1980 I'm using the ones from the original packaging of my phone I think, or direct replacements.

I think the biggest issue that will be faced will be convincing people to upgrade hardware, unless it becomes cheap enough to be the only choice! Most folks I know still use the standard speakers in their TV, they're happy to drive a Porsche or an Alfa Romeo, but they're not going to want to pay extra for new speakers. It might be a generational thing, or a British thing, or a grumpy old man thing...
You bring up some fair points that deserve to be addressed. Binaural audio recorded with the KU-100 “hears” sound the same way your ears and ultimately your brain hears sound. When TV’s first came out, I have to imagine people noticed fire trucks were not red, lakes were not blue, and plants were not green. The screen did not reflect reality. Since color was introduced, color accuracy has been improved, researched, improved, researched, improved, etc. Ironically, I’m not sure how well the screen reflects reality today either. It seems to be a heightened, sensationalized reality. That is the only analogy I can think of at the moment. There is also the fact the brain fills in, filters out, and focuses its attention on sound it deems important, all on a subconscious level. Binaural audio makes you conscious of how you hear sound. That is how I would describe it. I do not really “understand” how it works though. I just know that it does.

As far as the internet is concerned, YouTube has become the standard for audio/visual material. This is a problem because if you listen to 20 different uploads of the same song, they will not all sound the same. This problem is compounded by the playback systems people use and by playback systems I mean headphones. Your observations are accurate about people’s disposition towards paying for sound related products: “a sound bar costs $300 and earbud headphones are free.” Convincing people they should spend their money on sound related equipment is impossible. The people who do spend money on sound related equipment do not need to be convinced. You have highlighted the problem with giving things away for free in a non-charitable way. When a person buys a phone and it comes with headphones they perceive the headphones as being free. The same is true with a TV. The same is true with music on YouTube. It is all perceived as free because it is, unless you are an economist.

When the music is free and the speakers are free, how do you make either of them cheaper? (Rhetorical)

You play a good “Devils Advocate” which is valuable.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome