Jemsite - View Single Post - Let's talk pickups and types of wood...
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:20 PM
j.arledge

Re: Let's talk pickups and types of wood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevT View Post
The graphic EQ is a good idea actually.
What I mean by Bite and Snarl is probably defined as all that you mention:more mids, low mids, high mids, depth in the bass, sharpness in the treble.
It's just got more attitude in the tone.
The Floyd doesn't seem to apply that much because I have a factory Floyd on the V as well. I've played both Gibson V's with and without Floyds, and each one had basically the same tone.
I've changed out the RG 760 to a Dimarzio Super 3 recently. While it's got good gain, sounds great and I'm happy with it, it's not the equivalent. I put the 500T into the 550 and it's nice too, but it's not the sound that it had when it was in the V.
So I'm thinking...same pickup, different guitar, not the same sound. Gotta be the wood....
Now...knowing this, which Dimarzio will give me the tone I'm looking for?

I hate the super III, it has a tighter bass, tons of mids and very chopped treble. If you like the feel of that pickup but want a little brighter sound, try the super distortion. Textural it feels the same but the eq isn't as mid heavy, but the pickup has more bass and treble compared to the super 3.

if you want a more mid-rangy pickup that has a fair bit of output try the crunch lab.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome