Jemsite - View Single Post - New 2019 Jem 7v finish
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:33 PM
BigBazz

Re: New 2019 Jem 7v finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Good to know chaps, thanks for replying.

Only other minor “QC” issue is I don’t think the pickguard itself has been cut completely straight on the treble E side of the heel cutout as there’s a small oblique gap between it and the fretboard. The pickguard sits flush with the fretboard on the bass side so it’s not that the guard has been mounted squint. You can see it in the photo above. Very minor I know but I have a keen eye for these things having been a “Gibson guy” for years! Not noticeable enough to bother trying a new guard.

Loving the Jem. Getting a fantastic early Megadeth tone from the bridge pickup along with my Helix. The neck is very slick.

The middle single coil is great too, can do Hendrix for sure.

I’m a convert!
I use my 7V and a Helix for my live setup too and the middle pickup definitely gets a lot of use! Jem is definitely a niche guitar, but it has something special about it. Must be a big contrast for you coming from Gibson, before I bought my first Jem I had only owned Strats myself, even that felt like a giant leap (due to how wide, flat and thin the neck was).

Regarding the neck pockets, I don't think they want to make them too tight because they have to account for the woods changing/moving over time, with a Gibson you've got a glued in neck so it's different but with most bolt-ons I've played they don't make things too tight, that's probably also got something to do with what you're noticing with the alignment/pickguard. Having to loosen and align the neck like you did is pretty common on a new guitar, I had to do it with my 777 in addition to the fact that it took about 6 months before the neck would settle (perhaps because it got stuck in a shipping container in Japan for 6 months).

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome