Jemsite - View Single Post - Natural wood finish lightweight locking trem Ibanez models?
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
jfd986

Re: Natural wood finish lightweight locking trem Ibanez models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Hmm, let's see. The red one seems to be a bona fide 1994 model, and looks stock apart from what I assume is a roller nut. These were the base Japanese models at the time, bearing a Lo-TRS I trem, which, though not as good as an Edge/Lo Pro, still better than the Korean TRS II.

The burl top one is a parts guitar *has a 2001 neck from some S model (maybe a 520, which came with the squiggly inlays and embossed logo), while the body is 2003/later because of the ZR trem. Can't tell if the body is Japan, though does have the S1 single coil which is a MIJ thing but the humbuckers look like MIK Powersound type with double rows of chrome plated slugs (they're not V1/2, which have black poles), which were on 370 and lower end models in the later 90s/early 00s. Looking more closely, trem seems a bit janked, like it has popped off the roller bearings on the bass side and the person has locked it in place using the ZR system at the back.

In conclusion, the red one is a better bet and ok priced, could be a tad less maybe, I'm not well informed about Canadian market value for these things. I've seen the same model with Lo Pro go for less, but in EU/US.
Thanks very much for the insight, I had no idea that so much could be seen from some relatively poor photos of an instrument. I tried to look up the 670 poplar and 770 poplar and noticed that, though the 770 has squiggles, they are distinctly different from those on this guitar.

Honestly, from what you said, I would rather be happy with what I have now (a new S670 in blue sapphire with an Edge Zero 2) and avoid both of these guitars. This has taught me that the used market gets more complicated and requires more careful scrutiny than I previously thought, especially when going back before 2010.

I found an ESP horizon FR that also interests me. It's a gloss black ESP horizon II FR.

It's not wood finish and I'll have to weigh it to see that it's under 7.5 lbs since it's a horizon II not III (they are supposedly heavier, 7.9ish), but I'm going to see if I can ask about this guitar on an ESP forum. It might work well for my purposes and I might get a good deal on it if the seller agrees to my trade.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome