Ibanez JEM Forum banner
8K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  mi2tom 
#1 ·
I thought it would be cool to see pics of everyone's recording studio or recording gear that they have plus get a run down of some of the main gear in their studios. If you have a website throw it in here as well so we can all check it out!! I know that there has to be some sweet studios within THIS forum!! :D

Anyhow I dont have a wide angle lense to show you all of my studio but here are a couple pics. If you want to see more pics of the rest of it you can go to: www.excaliberstudio.com

• Some of the gear:

32x8 Mackie with meter bridge
    4 Alesis ADAT XT's (32 tracks)
    Alesis BRC (controls my computer, ADAT's, and my Korg Triton sequencer)
    2 Digitech GSP 2101 LE's (gold)
    Eventide H3000-D/SX
    Ensoniq DP/4
    Digitech Studio Quad
    Digitech Valve FX
    ADA MicoCab II
    BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer
    Proteus World module
    2 ART 352 31 band EQ's
    Behringer Ultramizer Pro
    Behringer Ultra Comp Pro
    Symetrix 528 vocal processor

There are various mics and other rack gear, DAT decks, CD burner, and plus all the computer software and sound cards and stuff but thts allot of the stuff in my studio.

I know Bob has a nice setup once it all gets up and going for his house. So lets see who all the gear heads and recording freaks are in the forum!!! lol :lol:

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah I agree. I recorded at the Art Institute in Seattle when I was 17 years old and they had a studio that was basically a replica of Studio X at Bad Animals recording studio. I was a student's "project". They had to do a 3 song demo and presskit. Anyhow when everything was done being recorded I could honestly say that I had recorded things on my 4 track tape cassette recorder that sounded better!!! lol

I think studios are just one of those thing where you should buy one piece of gear at a time and learn to use it inside and out and then move to he next piece. I have seen too many studios where someone got a $20,000 credit card and bought everything they wanted and then they never took the time to learn how to use it. When the Engineer pulls out a manual to see how to do something on a piece of gear........... I think I would pack my gear up and request a refund!! lol

#7 ·
Here's how my studio was supposed to look: :)

Here's how it really looks: :(

But, hey, it gets a lot more use in the basement!

Current gear: Gateway PIII-550 system w/ Lexicon Core 2 card and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, (2) ART Tube Channel preamps, (2) ART TPS preamps, Behringer Multicom compressor, Carvin monitors/power amps/mixers/headphones/etc.

--B

#11 ·
bduersch said:
Here's how my studio was supposed to look: :)

Here's how it really looks: :(

But, hey, it gets a lot more use in the basement!

Current gear: Gateway PIII-550 system w/ Lexicon Core 2 card and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, (2) ART Tube Channel preamps, (2) ART TPS preamps, Behringer Multicom compressor, Carvin monitors/power amps/mixers/headphones/etc.

--B
I thought you were going to upgrade that computer? What happened? You gotta get on the gighertz wagon, man!!

#12 ·
Polaris20 said:
I thought you were going to upgrade that computer? What happened? You gotta get on the gighertz wagon, man!!
Yeah, I know, but when I stopped and looked at the price, I started having second thoughts--mostly because a new computer would mean a new operating system, which would also mean a new version of Cakewalk and a new digital audio card. Slow as it is, this PIII system can still record on half a dozen tracks at a time and play back on about 20 before bogging down, so I can live with it for the time being.

Another major factor in not upgrading the studio computer was time... we're getting ready to start recording our second CD, and getting a new computer, getting all the software set up, and getting all the files copied over would probably set our recording back a month or so!

Someday (sigh...)

--B

#13 ·
Hi! Yesh- major sickness. Some guitars on loan were absent for the photos :( Eventually I will take individual photos of each, and put them on my site...which is being overhauled...
I used to work in the adult entertainment industry. No films tho. Err...no professional ones. Alot of people like sex, and being naked, or watching naked people. I like being naked. Cannot stand shoes, and clothes r a close second. Seemed natural to be in a business where I could be happy :D AND make money.
The hospital bed is due to a motorcycle accident in Sept 2001. Left me paralyzed for life. So, no more work :( , but I sold my car and motorcycles, and took that money (and a good part of my savings) and bought a house, had it wired with Cat5e for a LAN (rj-45 outlets in every room, main router in studio, 2 ports in the living room and game/movie room, single outlet in all others) rounded out my guitar and bass collection, and built computers for running Pro Tools in both my studio and my bedroom. The studio just underwent a renovation in February, and I am still rewiring and sorting thru the junk, hence the clutter and mess :oops: The injuries were severe enough that it keeps me bed-ridden most days still, and the hospital bed makes it easier to sit and use the computer (LCD in pic is mounted on a hospital table via LCD arm. Table swings across bed).
Soon, I will be grabbing an FTP storage online so I can work with other musicians from here. Would love to find a good drummer to work with, as well as a singer at some point, for my main project, i9. Would be really cool to do a CD from all online collaboration with other guitar, bass and keyboard players :D Looking into setting up all I need to produce and sell CD's. So- anyone who may be interested in doing this type of thing, let me know. Nikki :D

#16 ·
Here's my studio....

I'm thinking of upgrading, but... hey lets face it: It's hard to improve on perfection. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just Kidden... couldn't resist. I actually just have cakewalk and a Boss BR1180. I have a few condensers and a Allen and Heath Mix Wizard. I also have a bit of outboard gear, but nothing worth a photo.

#17 ·
Here's mine:

Mac G4 Dual Monitor
Roland TD6 V-Drums
24 Channel Spirit Desk
Digitech 2120
Digitech RP7
Zoom Bass effects
Alesis QS6 Keyboard
Alesis Compressors
Alesis Midiverb
Alesis EQ
14 various Guitars & Basses (some good, some not so good)
Cheap Beyer Mike (I can't sing)

All i need to do now is learn how to play the guitar properly!

Tony

#21 ·
and i hope you run pro very much , and that you hire out your studio very much or records a lot of cds , cause otherwise its no point ...

And you have been wastin some money here dude , i say this is just showmanship , but im impressed, but i cant say i understand why you go so big....

Nilsefix

#22 ·
Nilsefix said:
i cant say i understand why you go so big....

Nilsefix
Unfortunately i don't have my copy of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," but none other than the great Hunter S. Thompson once wrote something along the lines of, "When you're assembling a drug cache, the tendancy is to run towards overkill." Much the same applies here. ;)

Mine's pretty utilitarian so far, my laptop (cira '99 Dell Latitude CPi, pretty pimped at the time, but a bit pase' now) armed with Acid 2.0, Sound forge 5, and Cool Edit Pro, Goldwave for encoding, Kliptch Pro Media 2.1 speakers for reproduction and two sony headphones (yer' typical metallic blue swept-back "stylish" ones for my discman and to monitor a mix in what 99% of people listeing through headphones would be using, and a mid-range set for use while recording and working on the stereo spread of a mix), a cheap $30 radio shack SM-57 clone, A Marshall TSL-100, Mesa Recto 2x12, Ibanez RG-7620 with dimarzios, and a Fender us Strat with gold lace sensors. Ive got a Dunlop Crybaby for when i feel like it, and a J-station that's mostly been gathering dust. I've also got a Squier 5-string P-Bass to cut bass lines, which lately i've been recording throught he TSL with decent results.

In the near future I'm looking into getting a stripped desktop system solely for recording and using my laptop for the other 80% of my computer needs- super-high RAM, lots and lots of disc space, and then the best quality sound card I can afford, with maybe a LCD display to minimize 60-cycle hum. Dells have gotten dirt cheap, so i might go through them, but i also know some guys in the computer buisness working for a shop in the town i used to live in (and my parents still do), so i might talk to them, too. any suggestions? I'm used to a setup where i'm limited to recording a single track at a time, so anything above that would just make my day... :)

-D

PS- I'd post pics, but it's hardly worth it. You can see a TSL in any guitar center, and the rest of the gear is fairly run-of-the-mill. Hell, so's the tsl for that matter... My setup works, and i'm beginning to get some pretty good sounds on tape (er, disk), but it's nothing to brag about...

#23 ·
Hi!
Hehehe- overkill...mmmm

With all the guitars I own, I actually find time to play them all. The 6's dont get played as much, I prefer the 7's. With floating trems, it is easier to have several guitars, tune them differently, than it is to have one and keep retuning it for each need. Different pick-ups in some, and different model and makes yield different sounds. Some are plain old collecting, like the JEM's and UV's. But even then, I wanted a maple board jem, an ebony board jem, and a rosewood board jem. Diff sounds from each. I guess I could have bought the box of 15 crayons and saved money for something else (like what? hehehee), but I always liked the big crayola boxes :D Each guitar has it's own feel as well, and each inspires me differently.

The studio is for my use only. After being paralyzed in a motorcycle accident, and sustaining injuries that prohibit me form doing much else than I can in my own home, I sold what I didnt need and decided to invest it into a studio and equipment to be able to cut albums in my home. I got acoustic drums, electrics drums; basses and guitars; recording equipment; and had furniture built that I designed based on my disabilities. I have had to relearn how to play because of some of the injuries, and have a project I am working on that will take several years to finish. So now, I am quite happy, have plenty of toys to play with, and am so distracted that I have no time to whine about being disabled :D And even so, I consider myself extremely lucky to have so much, and just being alive is kinda nice. Besides, Im a spoiled bitch at heart- lol!!!

Nikki :D

#24 ·
Ok . Well , it really think its nice that you have the studio as an outlet and all to have fun with . But i just think its a little bit much equipment for having it all alone . Cuz dude , that is very much even for a HUGE studio ..
I sat down last week , with a buddy and talked with him on once in our life building up a big studio somewhere in Norway , and working with that. Having bands over for recordings and stuff . (although im only 17) i know that i will never have the money for all that stuff ..
And then it makes me feel a little bit wierd when you have like ALL those guitars , and all that over-professional gear all by yourself , that most people cant even come CLOSE to build up .,
I absoloutly understand it more with the thing about you having that studio as a thing to do . and im terribly sorry if i seemed angry in the last posts , thought of that after i posted and that wasnt the point .. :)

Hope to hear some sound-clips once ? cause i would think that it sounds pretty nice ;) hehehe

Nilsefix

#25 ·
Hi!
Hehhee- nah, you didnt sound angry!

When I grew up (37 now), I saw people like Rick Nielsen who had TONS of guitars. Collectors, but played all of them. When I was in High School, this one kid had 10 guitars, and I wa slike WHoa!!! I've usually had 3-5 guitars with me on the road, and travelling brought access to ALOT of pawnshops. Pawnshops close to military bases were notorious for having good stuff, cause the military personel would get shipped out overseas, and most times would have to get rid of stuff. So, the soldier who just bought a new guitar, and didnt have time to play, learn, etc would sell it to the pawnshop, along with amps, fx, etc. When I would find something like a Les Paul Custom, and only have to pay $800, kinda hard to pass that up. I would actually buy guitars and stuff and ship it to a friend at home, and if I got home and didnt want any of the gear I had purchased, I would sell it and use the money to buy other gear. So, the studio is now years of buying and selling gear, and then after the accident, deciding I didnt need a car, motorcycles, etc. and buying Pro Tools and having the furniture built.

Yeah, alot of stuff. I am currently working on a project called "i9." Since I have alot fo free time, I figured I would finally try to "bring a dream to life." http://www.nintheye.com/9-i9.html Once I get some pieces done, I'll post it here. Trying to find a drummer and vocalist to work with. Once more is written, I would love to have other guitarists/bassists contribute to tracks and stuff. I have a web host with plenty of room to be able to collaborate over the net thru file exchange, so I can potentially have players from all over the world. Fun fun fun!
Nikki :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.