Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Strangest concert lineup ever?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  vaijem777 
#1 ·
http://www.coorslightmountainjam.com/main.php

It's an excuse to go check out the "improvements" that they've made to Red Rocks. ;) Tix are relatively inexpensive, and it'll be a chance to see Gov't Mule & the semi-Doors (along with a bunch of other bands that I'd never usually pay to see).

Should be interesting!

#3 ·
Well...it was pretty weird. We skipped the first 5 or so bands because there was nothing that interested me (rap, reggae, etc.)

We arrived at about 3 in the afternoon at the beautiful Red Rocks Amplitheater (I never get tired of going there!)

About 30 minutes later, Gov't Mule hit the stage. INCREDIBLE! Warren Haynes gets better every time I see him :) GREAT tone, great players, great songs. They played for roughly 45 minutes.

Then it was time for Evanescence. Given that none of the bands were allowed stage sets or backdrops, they really did a great job. The sound was decent, but at times the pre-recorded synth tracks far overpowered Amy's voice (which was stellar aside from that). Very solid band, and they really got a great response considering the diversity of the crowd.

Next up: The Doors (of the 21st Century). This was basically my reason for coming- I'd always like the Doors and was curious as to how this recent incarnation would hold up. It had been raining off & on that day, but was warm and dry when they took the stage just after dusk. "Roadhouse Blues" started the set off, and was a sign of the classics to come. Basically, they did every Doors song that you'd expect to hear. The best thing, though, is that it sounded GREAT! Ian Astbury sounded incredible, and had a great stage presence as well. The clincher was that just as the opening keyboard part of "Riders on the Storm" began to trickle through the speakers, the rain just let loose. Out of nowhere. A torential downpour was released with nature's best lightshow as a backdrop. The lightening was insane over Denver, which made the show that much more intense. It was a pretty crazy coincedence...or was it? ;)

The rain continued for the rest of the evening. P.O.D. was next. They were dull enough that my wife and I headed back to the car to grab a dry blanket to cover up with. Next up: KORN. They were great! I'm not a huge fan, but they definitely put on a great show. There was a 45 minute rain delay from an earlier rainstorm, so they didn't start until around 11PM. After a solid set that lasted an hour and change, it was time for rapper .50 Cent.

Ugh. My wife wanted to stay for him, but after the first song even she was ready to leave. He's a joke. It's amazing how lame rap really is when performed live. I'm not going to get into detail, but he absolutely sucked. Good thing he didn't go on until midnight- it was even easier to justify leaving!.

All in all, the first annual Coors Light Mountain Jam was a success! Great diversity, great crowds...what could have been a trainwreck turned out perfectly (despite the heavy rains). They're already planning one for next year, and if the lineup is anything like this one, I'll definitely be attending.

#4 ·
I was pleasantly suprised to see Stewart Copeland in that Doors lineup. I'm a huge Police fan and have always enjoyed Stewart's music. Was he able to stand out a tad or did he just copy the original drumline?

Interesting note - my girls enjoy this show on Nickelodeon called the Amanda Show - Amanda Bynes comedy thing. The show's theme song is catchy and fun - Stewart wrote it.

Anyone remember the U2 video for "Sunday Bloody Sunday" shot live @ Red Rocks? I think it was raining in that video also - looks like an amazing place.

Thanks for the review!

- Chris

#5 ·
Actually, Stewart Copeland only did a couple of shows with the Doors- he broke his wrist last year before they actually started touring. I'm not sure who they've got drumming for them now- some unknown. :)

The one disappointing thing about them is that they actually have a bassist touring with them- no more pedal bass from Ray!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.