Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  ScottB 
#1 ·
Alright, Im starting to get the guitar buying bug again and was wondering if this is a guitar that would last a lifetime? I was also thinking of switching out the pick ups, what would you add in there instead of the stock ones and would I really hear a difference in them, or is it just a slight difference? Also is there anything "wrong" with this guitar that I should be aware of, ive heard mixed reviews about the trem and such. Thanx for reading this and helping me out!

#2 ·
If you buy one from Rich (Ibanezrules.com) he'll set it up, touch it up, and give you the little extra screws to lock the new trem studs.

For a little extra he'll put them in for you. :)

I've not heard anything bad about these, I have a 1990 RG550 that I've beaten to death and it's still going strong. I did swap the pups though.

Originally it had the V1-S1-V2 combination and I put a PAF Pro in the neck, a Fender American single, and a Super Distortion in the bridge.

Just recently I changed those to a set of Evos and an HS-2 wired as a single coil . . . VERY happy with it now.

All in all they are tough guitars, with a great feel (in my opinion) and nice sound, once you get those muddy Vs out of there. :) Not that the Vs are BAD, they just aren't as good as a "real" pickup.

Mic

#4 ·
Email him and ask, I don't see any thing on his site about it though . . . I'm sure that would cost quite a bit extra, if he'll even do it at all.

It's easy to do, if you're careful, but have a pro do it if you're not comfortable using a soldering pen, they can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

I have a 18 year old scar on my thumb to prove that. :roll:

But, I'd say just give the Vs a try, you might like them, there are plenty out there that are quite happy with them.

It's personal preferance is all. :)

Mic

EDITED; stupid "speeling" mistake. ;-)

#6 ·
Are they using those 4 pole-24 lug switches in the mid-range guitars as well now?

I mean, I understand what they are good for, I have two Superswitches at the moment, one is in my RG 520 so I can have exactly the combinations that I want and one on my desk as a spare, but since the HSH setup, with the "Split 5" switching only really needs a two pole-8 lug switch, I don't see the need for such a "complicated" switch.

Soldering jumper wires on those switches has to increase installation time.

Or am I just being ignorant again? ;-)

Mic

#8 ·
Ah, okay. Standard 5 way than.

Easy to wire, done it a hundred times. (Dimarzio my pref.)

Just a bit of a pain remembering what lugs go with what positions. I like the "old fashioned" ones (like used in the old Strats), where you could see the switch connections.

The Stew-Mac Superswitch is an "open" design like that, but I still had to sit there with a multitester to figure out how to get the combos I wanted with the two hums.

The "Special" five-way that comes with the two humbucker RG's is really useless for any custom wiring . . . I have one laying around somewhere . . . ah, there it is, holding down some papers. ;-)

Mic

#11 ·
Hey thanks for the replies and Ill have to keep Ibanez Rules in mind! Do you have a shop or anything like that to visit or do you do everything online? Also a question for everyone, If I get this guitar I may do something to the pickguard, could I paint it? Or should I just go to warmoth.com and buy some blank material and trace/cut out a new one? Thanks!

#13 ·
the 1550 is a very rewarding purchase for me. i've gotten this preference for maple fretboards after spending too much time with my fender tele & the 1550's is really smoooooth! despite this consideration, i bought this one on the merits of its construction (IMO- tops!) & feel. the prestige neck is a darling, it plays well despite being thin in profile.

moving to the pickups- i swapped the neck & bridge units for Duncan's Distortion & Screamin' Demon respectively. i find the original too overwhelming in the high end department. left the mid single coil alone. the new Edge Pro bridge is superb. i find the less angular components very picking hand friendly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.