Ibanez JEM Forum banner
15K views 90 replies 38 participants last post by  psychoshredder 
#1 ·
Glen, Rich... Do you guys know if Ibanez has ever done anything like this? The reason I ask is I'm fairly active on the Jackson forum and those guys are in the process of putting together an order for a special edition custom guitar. It's going to be specifically for members of that forum. Jackson will pretty much build whatever those guys want, at prices that are far below the standard custom shop prices. The only catch is they've got to order a minimum number of 10 pieces.

I don't know if Ibanez would ever do this because they're not really a "custom shop" kind of company, might be cool to have a Jemsite special edition guitar if they would though. I'm sure it's been discussed here before, just wondering if it's ever actually been done.

Matt

#53 ·
i don't think it's impossible for people to agree on the same specs, the guitar just has to unique or cool enough. like the baritone dna, or a Flo type guitar with a sustainer
if we get to the stage of designing the guitar, it'd be a good idea to run a poll. that might work

#54 ·
A possibility is to 'reissue' a discontinued model.
I would like to think that there are several collectors and players on this forum that would accept whatever model it turned out to be. After all, it could be a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one just because of a rosewood instead of ebony fingerboard. Would you?

A great idea. Make it happen!

Euph

#55 ·
I probably wouldn't buy a "collector's" JEM model just because they took a JEM 7WVH and changed the trem from gold to chrome (a la that Satch model). These things ain't cheap! It would have to be something cooler than that.

Like:
a different multicolor swirl
weird Vai-istic graphic
different feature like Sustainer (FLO) or piezo bridge (POGO??) or double-edge

A reissued model with a Jemsite logo somewhere on it would be good, depending on which model. Blue-floral, maybe??

#57 ·
There has been discussion in the past about artist control over sig models, so a new version of a JEM might be a bit out of the question, unless, of couse, someone got the ear of Mr. Vai. Perhaps a unique RG might be more realistic and agreeable to the masses?
Greg

#59 ·
The Euphor said:
A great idea. Make it happen!

Euph
As a note here; this most certainly has NOT been dropped. Matt, of Matt's music, has asked his Ibanez contacts what they might do for us, or allow us to do for ourselves. So, we wait. Hopefully Ibanez will get back to us before November, but who knows? They may do absolutely anything we ask in batches of 20, they may decide to just give us another color option on current production non-endoresed models in batches of 75; again, we don't know yet.
We could go with an "in-house" instrument with EKG, LGM, and ATD wotrking together on something. Everything is up in the air but everyone should also know the whole thing wasn't brought up, talked about for a week and dropped. We seemed to be moving towards a DNA swirled UV model as something everyone would like to see, but I agree with those who've said the final product should be cheap enough to be attainable for the largest number of people. The final cost should go down as the total number of items goes up, but that's also not written in stone.
So, by all means think about what YOU would want to see, and lets keep this alive. Do you want alder, mahogany, ash, or basswood? Swirl, or a stained quilt? Maple, rosewood, ebony, pyramids, vine, Evo Zones :wink:...you get the picture. Maybe we'll end up with mercjoes' "chrome DNA swirled Universe PGM", maybe something simpler :wink:

just start saving your pennies now!

jim

#61 ·
As much as I think and "in house" guitar would be cool, if that were the case, I might just opt to have them build one to my specs completely. IMHO, in what we're talking about, and Ibanez would be the way to go.

As far as desired specs...

- Chambered mahogany RG
- quilt top stained
- Viper neck (ala JPM, 42mm nut)
- flamed maple binding on neck, scraped on body
- rose or ebony with offset abalone dots, or JEMSITE inlay at 12th fret
- cosmo Edge pro
- TZ/AN w/5-way

Greg

#62 ·
A few things I think is a must:

- Jem model, Jemsite model.
With that in mind, what makes the Jem/UV models to what they are?
- Scalloped top frets.
- Five way switch and HSH configuration.
- Monkey grip, Claw of da Lion.
- Pyramid, TOL inlays.
- Swirlfinish... The list goes on.

Should it be a retrospective guitar? Should it be a model like 'we' would like to see the next Jem? IMO, a Jemsite model should pay respect to the Jem as we know it. And consist of true Jem details, with a twist.
If you want a custommade guitar, there are craftsmen on this forum that can turn your dreams into reality. Ibanez all the way!

Euph

#63 ·
A few questions.

1st. Whats the option Jackson guys are opting for and what price have they been quoted.

2nd. Would some minor variations be allowed (Finish of hardware/plastic pieces)

3rd. Instead of all these crazy options you are all asking for, why not a stripped down strat like (Think Andy Timmons model) guitar with some nice good or chambered body.

#67 ·
This has been great to watch unfold! It's a great idea, but ultimately Ibanez would have to decide what the Jemsite LE would be (based on the 4.3 million ideas tossed out so far).

I'd be in no matter what provided:

- It's higher end in quality with an RG based body style that's "unique"
- It's a limited production run

As for a JEM - I tend to agree with jim777 as far as the contractual obligations - I'm sure they'd need Steve's approval to do anything with a JEM body style and that likely doesn't happen at the drop of a hat - whereas they can do anything with an RG (ala Texas Prestige).

We'd never all agree to the specs, but I'm sure if Ibanez put out 75 pieces
they'd get snapped up :D

#71 ·
I wonder what would be the problem for Steve as to a limited run of JEM. If the contract (and it is certainly the case) provides that prototypes must first be submitted to Steve's approval prior to lanufacture and sell, ok, fine. This is not an obstacle to the project. I don't see why Ibanez would not submit a project to Steve (provided the necessary number of user agree on the same specs). As to the payment of Steve, it makes no doubt that he has a royalty on each model JEM/UV sold. So, a Jemsite limited run guitar (JEM or UV) would just keep the same process applied. Further money for Steve, jemsite buyers happy, Steve and Ibanez add points to their image.

#72 ·
JEAPSON said:
I wonder what would be the problem for Steve as to a limited run of JEM. If the contract (and it is certainly the case) provides that prototypes must first be submitted to Steve's approval prior to lanufacture and sell, ok, fine. This is not an obstacle to the project. I don't see why Ibanez would not submit a project to Steve (provided the necessary number of user agree on the same specs). As to the payment of Steve, it makes no doubt that he has a royalty on each model JEM/UV sold. So, a Jemsite limited run guitar (JEM or UV) would just keep the same process applied. Further money for Steve, jemsite buyers happy, Steve and Ibanez add points to their image.
You know, it really comes down to both parties being pretty non-responsive overall...

Ibanez is a Japanese company that really is not in "tune" with customers, especially in the USA.

Steve is busy with a ton of stuff and as you might have noticed, often "over-extends" himself with projects that never come to fruition.

If this is not VERY obvious, then you have not really been paying attention.

Call a custom jem a very low priority on each parties totem-pole... glen

#76 ·
Could you imagine having that guitar? You'd be the envy of guitarists everywhere, hahaha. If there were only about 75 of those guitars made or something, it would be SO unique to have one! Man, if I manage to get backstage passes for the upcoming G3 tour I really might type something up explaining to Steve this crazy idea going on at these forums. I'd then hand it to him and ask him to consider this idea when he has a few free moments to read it! Haha, that'd be awesome! Man, i've been dying for them to make the Bad Horsie guitar. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.