Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JEM10th 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. As a member, I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading for several weeks.
My question has to do with the Quality of Jems. What I'm concerned about is all the posts on troubles and fixes for 03' Jems. I'm looking at a Jem 7VWH. I'm also looking at USA Jacksons. The bottom line so far has been I like the way the Jem plays better than the Jackson. (Personal pref) However, I'm worried about spending a lot of cash on a guitar that may have some design flaws in the trem or the nut or whatever. I don't mind if I don't like the pick ups, but the overall construction quality and attention to detail really make me lean back towards the Jackson. I'm not saying Jacksons are better or perfect, but I've heard of less construction or design problems with them. I also have a 68' Les Paul and a PRS, so I'm prepared to spend the money on a quality guitar, but I would be really upset if I bought a Jem and it was a P.O.S. or needed substantial modification right out of the box. I just want to get what I'm paying for, nothing more, nothing less. What are your thoughts? Like I said, I liked the way the Jem Played better than the Jackson and it's really that simple. But, I would rather have nothing than spend a lot of money on something that Ibanez has lowered the quality on, and raised the price. Am I wrong/crazy to expect high quality when paying a premium for a guitar? Or should the price on the Jem be like $600.00, which is where the quality seems to be. Unless I'm wrong and the people having trouble with Trem studs or knife edges or saddles are in the minority. I understand that any guitar company can make a mistake and there will be some troubled instruments out there. Maybe my expectations are to high? Please let me know what you all think. I don't have any experience with Ibanez so forgive my ignorance. Thanks so much for your comments.

See less See more
#2 ·
Overall quality has never been higher. The downgrade to non locking studs puts them, equal, to Jackson now, except you can always add the locking studs to the Jem. Thw high nuts are another issue and if you buy from any dealer that's just going to slap an address label on a box you're getting what you're not paying for. [and if you'll notice I'm the only one bitching and moaning about the high nuts, nobody else seems to care or think it's a problem]

#5 ·
Silktone,

I just got my 7VWH from Rich last week. Top notch setup, and the guitar build quality is easily an equal to my PRS.

Doesn't matter what guitar you buy, it'll never be setup right and will need a pro setup (except in Rich's case, he does that for you). Even with my PRS I needed to make truss rod adjustments and lower the action.

As for customer service, something posted about here now and again... Ibanez are no different to most manufacturers. The premise being that you buy your guitar from a dealer, (or Rich :)), so you goto them for any issues you have, and they will deal with the distributor/manufacturer on your behalf.

#6 ·
Rich said:
Thw high nuts are another issue and if you buy from any dealer that's just going to slap an address label on a box you're getting what you're not paying for. [and if you'll notice I'm the only one bitching and moaning about the high nuts, nobody else seems to care or think it's a problem]
and how much do you charge for nut lowering anyway rich? ;) do you use weights? LOL

#9 ·
Easy step to lowering the nuts:

1. Take one 009 e-string.
2. tight each end to each nut with firm knots.
3. put your left foot (or right, if you´re "rightfooted") in the middle of the string, shoe is recommended cause it can hurt if the string eats into the skin under your foot.
4. Start walking around the room until pain goes away :lol:

Either is the nuts lower after the pain is gone, or they´re gone too... :p

Tip: If you play a solo on your guitar meanwhile you´re walking, remember to record it, as it will surely be one of your most emotional solo...

I guess Mr.Vai & Co, all had their nuts lowered, as i can not still find more emotional solos as them who is made of them :D

AAAAOOOUUTCH-ON all!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.