Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  darren wilson 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!

I just got a wicked Reb Beach Model, the one with the rosewood neck. The serial # starts with an "F" and it says it's made in Japan. Here's what troubles me: it has no EMGs in it! I know it's not the cheapo RBM10 with the maple neck, and it can't be a RBM2 (since there are no EMGs). So what is it? It has a LoProEdge, which may help date it.

Did the EMGs get replaced? The guy I bought it from was the original owner and says it had normal passive pickups in it (he replaced all three with SeymourDuncans).

Ideally, what I'd like is to find some pics from the IBZ catalog. Does anyone know where I can get this? Or if someone could email me some JPGs?

BTW, this is a great guitar! The guy never touched it, preferring his BCRich, and has no wear AT ALL on it. I got it, with a new Warwick case, for under $400!!!

Thanks everybody!

Eric

#5 ·
Where to find pics of Ibanez catalogs from the 90's?

Many many thanks, Tommy! I've been looking for one of these for a while, the natural wood grain oiled version, but due to my job, I'm travelling all the time and can never get cracking. I actually emailed this guy back and forth about details for a whole year before actually going to see the guitar -- in Germany!

Eric

#6 ·

Sounds like an RBM1 - I used to have one and there are pics in the "Gone Guitars" part of my little vanity web site... I really liked mine but let it go in a moment of weakness in exchange for my Elan II. I still think that was a more than fair deal, but miss the RBM from time to time... The RBM1s came with HB2 bridge humbucker and two SB1 single-coil-sized dual-blade humbuckers. These pickups weren't the best and were one of the reasons I let the guitar go - you should be glad they were replaced with something more worthy. Otherwise, and awesome guitar... Congrats :biggrin:

#9 ·

Ya, I was thinking it could be an RBM400, too... Guess the catalog scan confirms that. The 400's just an RBM1 natural finish, as far as I can tell. It's mahogany though, not Koa... Still, a great guitar <sigh> :)

#10 ·

Yup, that's the RBM 400, alright. Thanks to everybody, especially Glen for the JPGs.

I guess IBZ didn't make the RBM2 Koa + EMG model after that first year run. I wonder why not? Why stop making that great EMG model, then lower the top of the line guitar to one with the crappy IBZ pickups? The new Seymour Duncans do sound awesome, though. And the guitar has almost never been touched -- the guy couldn't play at all. He wanted to learn, so he went out and got all this great gear...

But what a beautiful and great-sounding guitar! And I swear it smells like chocolate...

Eric

#11 ·

Oil-finished wood is really wonderful. Playing a guitar with a painted body just feels "sticky" to me now. I'd love to try a guitar with a solid Pau Ferro neck... i hear they've got monster tone and sustain for days!

My guess is that they stopped making the Koa-topped model as a production model because Koa is getting extremely rare and expensive because the Hawaiian government has put extremely tight controls on how much Koa can be harvested and under what circumstances. It's too bad, because it's a stunning wood, but i'm glad they're taking measures to protect it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.