Ibanez JEM Forum banner

The elusive 540 PII - revisited (Rich and Nuno, please read)

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nuno 
#1 ·
Aimed directly at Nuno, PlayThickStrings, Bucketbot, Javashred and Jimosity (and, of course, Rich and the techies)...

Here's the deal: I finally found a 540 PII SHBK, and at a great price. Now, there's two small pieces missing: the button of one of the tuning machine heads (you know, the part you take between thumb and index finger and turn :roll: ), and the pickguard. Also, the finish (black) is not what it used to be - no dents or scratches, but the paint's chipped here and there.

- Which machineheads do I need (part#...)? Which is the best place to get them from? (I am in Belgium, and it's rather hard to find knowledgeable shops here)
- I probably won't be able to get a stock replacement pickguard - hence this appeal for an outline or scan :(
- To have the guitar refinished, is there a special brand or color of paint recommended ?

On a related note, would it be considered blasphemy if I were to install EMGs (including routing a cavity for the battery compartiment) at one point or another ? I am not a purist, but if this is considered a "collectible" or "classic" guitar, I would feel bad to do so.

Waiting for your comments, suggestions, help... ! Thanks for reading !

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I'm not one of the persons this thread was aimed to, but: You don't mean the same PII I have my eyes on, do you??

As for the tuners, lefty standard gotohs should fit. They pop up fairly often on, umm, some auction site.

The stock PUs are neat, so at least give them a test drive before you decide to go the EMG route. If you do so, don't forget to send me the IBZ/USA F3 if you don't need it anymore, lol. I love those F3s.

#5 ·
NOOOO!!!!
DO NOT TOUCH THOSE PICKUPS, PLEASE!!!! I IMPLORE YOU!!!

dp15655,
those pickups absolutely rock!!! i LOOOOVE 'em!!! they're either so powerful and crunchy and creamy and thick!!
please dont swap them!!!
and also, that's a very collectible item!!! you can't do that on that thing! please let it as it is!!!

pleeeeeease!!!

ps: sorry, dont know about paint and pickguard... :(
pps: would you sell the babe? :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.