Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  little wing 
#1 ·
I have been planning to buy a used 570 AANJ to rob parts for a custom Jem I'm in the beginning stages of and saw a NEW RG570 at a local store. They wanted almost $600 w/out a case - so it was out of the question to buy it just to strip it for parts. I was really close to getting a nice 570 that would have been perfect for the Jem project and ended up getting a REALLY GREAT deal on a mint Wolfgang standard (that'll be another post!) and blew the $ I was saving for the used RG. :wink:
A guy came into my store (a different local instrument dealer) with a mint '97 Big Apple Strat in vintage sunburst w/ a case. Needless to say, I personally got the guitar for $200 and took it home. I have a '91 Deluxe Strat w/ an Evo in the bridge and 2 gold lace sensors that I have been using since '95 and really had no need for the Big Apple other than it looked sweet on my wall. I took it down to the local store where they had the RG570 and swapped it out (and got a cool Digitech Synth Wah pedal too!!). I probably could have auctioned the Strat and made a couple $ and still bought the RG, but this was easier and as everyone knows - GAS has an appetite and needs almost immediate feeding when it strikes!LOL!! :lol:
I spent a couple hours re-stringing, setting up and getting aquainted with the RG today and I have to say I am very impressed!! :D I don't own any production Jems. I own and have owned a few other Ibanez guitars (I love my S2020AX!), but this guitar is really nice!! The finish is a pearl silver and the hardware is immaculate!! If a production Jem is better than this- I want to know HOW!!???
I still plan to buy a few production model Jems (7DBK,777VBK,VBSL) and finish the 2 custom Jems I'm working on (my mahogany/chrome/vine will be playable w/in a week or so!!) and probably get a used 77FP to have a GMC job done, but I am very impressed with this 570!!
The problem now is, I can't bring myself to steal the neck and other parts from the RG to finish my 2nd custom Jem!! I now have to find ANOTHER AANJ RG570 to complete the project!! :lol:
GAS is a BITCH!! :twisted:
Just had to vent my joy/dilema with this new RG.
I'll post pics of the 2 customs when I can get a digital camera. 8)

See less See more
#2 ·
cool dude!! I'm myself looking forward to buying a good RG at a decent price, wether a 421, 2570 or even t42 as I'm leaving my 2027x on the stand more and more, and I want something else than my EDR470, which is already lovely but I REALLY want a 6string RG lol!

the 2570 I played blew me away: killer fast neck, killer flat grey finish, only the edge pro was a bad thing to me, but blocked it wont be annoying right lol?! Though I think the same about the rgt42, which moreover has H-H pickups (that I somewhat prefer as there isnt a single-coil for my picking to hit) and neck-thru (new for me)

#3 ·
Did you get your action to be low with the trem angle at 90 degrees? The angle on mine was too low and i got the action as low as it could be at that angle. So i raised it and now the action is too high. I think maybe I have to loosen the Set screws or something in the posts, but can't even feel if i'm turning them.

#4 ·
I saw that there were set screws in the posts, but I couldn't feel them in there. :?:
I have the trem @ 90 degrees and the action is pretty low. If I go any lower - it frets out on high bends.
I made sure the neck was dead on (which took very minimal movement to do as it was almost perfect already) and started following Rich's set-up guide -(THANKS RICH!! :wink: )- and I have gotten a lot of compliments on the playability and the overall feel of this guitar.
The only thing I can't believe about this guitar is... I didn't already own one!! :lol: It is sooo nice!! I know the others with 3120's and other Prestige models are thinking, "the RG is nice but,he hasn't played mine", but I think I have a really nice guitar for the $ (well, trade in my case! :wink: ).
I'm sure a mahogany version is sweet, but it would be very close to what this guitar is aside from some tone differences. They would probably feel the same and play the same. I'm only guessing as I have not had the opportunity to play the "higher" RG and Prestige lines other than my S2020x. Needless to say, this guitar is nothing like the S2020x.
Between the new Wolfgang (GAS thread) and this brand new RG570- I'm in GAS HEAVEN!!! :D
Todd
"......he's been recently seen floating somewhere around cloud 9.. or was that 7?!!"

#5 ·
i'm still loving the new RG570 and my Wolfie (GAS thread). i pick them both up all the time and they both have such different feels and sounds. i have a used RG570 on the way to strip parts (neck, trem, hardware, electronics, ect.) for my custom Jem project. right now i only have the raw basswood body for the project with all the proper routes. if it plays as nice as my new RG570, i'll be in heaven!!

#8 ·
i find myself STILL laughing at my GAS!! i've wanted a custom Jem for sooo long and i'm finally in the position to finish a sweet multicolor one with BRAND NEW parts from this RG570 and i can't bring myself to removing a single part from this guitar to use on the custom Jem! :lol:
ain't GAS a BITCH!!! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.