Ibanez JEM Forum banner
19K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ChrisReedSmith 
#1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if there are any RG series guitars with a hardtail? Similar to the RG 7621, but a 6 string?

I think I remember reading about the RG 502 ?? maybe but I thought it was a rare model. I was looking for something common, that would (hopefully) be a lot cheaper.

But I was wanting something of equal quality to the RG 550, 570, 520QS,etc...  Like a kind local shop has something like this, its like a 470FX, or something. Black with hardtail, and wizard II neck (yuk!!), but it looks like it has problems, and overpriced, so....

I thought of this, cause I was in GC the other day looking at one of those new , neon orange RG 170's (I think, I dont know cant find it on Ibanez's website it was orange, with a rosewood fretboard, with the strat trem, I think, hardware:chrome). It wouldnt be bad with trem locked up, but I imagine the quality sucks all over. (didnt have much time to look, but I was also mesmerized by the NEW RG3120TB they have, never seen one before). But, I wouldnt mind selling one of my older RG 550's, in place of a hard tail one....

Thanks,

Scott

(Edited by shask at 4:33 pm on April 5, 2001)

See less See more
#4 ·
Ibanez RG with hardtail?

If you're willing to settle for a used instrument, the USRG10 has a fixed bridge. It might be difficult to find one, however. Even if you do, it will probably cost more than a newer, lower-quality RG. (Although you never know. Here was one that went for about $400 on eBay less than a month ago: USRG10TB.)

J

#5 ·
Ibanez RG with hardtail?

they mad e a spot production model of the rg520 with a hard tail called the rg521 at the same time as the rg7621 came out
I saw one on ebay a while back for $495 n.o.s. I just get custom bodies made like my hard tail jem being painted right now.

#6 ·
Ibanez RG with hardtail?

Quote: from jem7pbk on 8:54 pm on April 5, 2001

I just get custom bodies made like my hard tail jem being painted right now.
If you dont mind me asking, where did you get the custom body, and how much?? Ive always thought about doing that route, maybe this would be a good place to do that.

Oh, and that USGR..whatever up above looks sweet!! I have never seen one of those before. But the way you said $400, made it sound dirt cheap, and thats scary !! I'm not outta college yet!!

Thanks,

Scott

#7 ·
Ibanez RG with hardtail?

Scott,

I sympathize with your financial straits. I have certainly been there myself. I'm lucky to have a good job that allows me to indulge my guitar tooth now and then, but I remember working for an entire summer in a dry cleaner with no air conditioning to save up for a brand spanking new 1990 RG570 in jewel blue and once again being dead broke after I bought it. I still have that guitar.

Anyway, given the quality of the guitar you're looking for, I don't think you'll be able to find much that will satisfy you for less than around $400.

Oh, and I think $400 for that USRG10 was a very good deal. USRG30s are going for somewhere in the $650 to $750 range lately and the only difference is the USRG30 has the Lo Pro Edge. I'm not sure a floating trem justifies a $250 to $350 jump in price. Given the current market price of USRG30s, I would expect USRG10s to sell somewhere in the $550 to $600 range. I'm sure others here will weigh in with their opinions if they disagree.

J

#8 ·
Ibanez RG with hardtail?

Custom Guitar Wares is who is makeing my custom bodies but I don't know how much they cost because they are part of a trade. but they are useing carvin hardtail's, the string thru body ones. they are very nice I can't wait till they are done.

#9 ·
Ibanez RG with hardtail?

Well, thats cool. i just figuered with as many RG 400-500 around so cheap, you would think that there were cheap fixed bridge ones around, for even less (no trem, cheaper guitar).

Its not like Im Ibanez-less I have 2 older RG550's, well one. The one I play. I have another that Im slowly customizing, actually havent messed with it for like 6 months. maybe I should start that again. next I need a lo-pro string saddle....I like these, I just thought a non-trem one would be cool. i have an SG I play, but it just doesnt have that "Ibanez sound" LOL.

Actually, Im thinking about going and looking at that 470FX I was talking about. I havent been to that store in like 8 months, but that guitar was there for like 4 years, so, I dont imagine it went anywhere. they wanted too much for it, but maybe I could trade my Mockingbird for it??? (cheap one I dont play).

Thanks for the info...

Scott

#10 ·
Ibanez RG with hardtail?

on all my other Ibanez guitars ( jems uv's pgm's rg's) I just block the trems. also for around $40 if you can find one Ibanez use to make a trem blocking thing you screwed into the spring cavity that blocked the trem from being pulled up solving all the floating trem problems then it plays just like a strat trem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.