Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  sam669 
#1 ·
OK Guys, I have a unique situation that I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with.

I've got 2 preamps and would like to use both without running out of one and into the other.
I do have a G-Major in the mix and it does some switching, so maybe that'll work for me..?

What I have is a Bogner Triple Giant and an Engl 520.
They can both receive MIDI changes, so maybe that will help, but they both have three channels and have Midi channels 0, 1, 2 for switching channels.

Should I run my guitar into my G-Major and have that do the switching (with my FCB1010 foot controller, which now that I think about it, has some on/off external switching capabilities I believe...) between the two preamps, if so, how should I do it?

I wouldn't be against a midi switcher if that's the right route to go...but I know nothing about them.
Actually, I have a third preamp that I'd love to use as well and if I put that into the mix, maybe I'll HAVE to have a switcher then...but at this point, the two preamps would really be great.

So: to summarize, here's my rig:

Bogner Triple Giant
Engl 520
G-Major
Boogie 50/50 Power Amp

If anybody has suggestions on how to use all six channels of these two preamps, they'd be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
You need something to switch between preamps... I use a Peavey MidiPro to switch between my Rocktron Piranha and Marshall JMP-1 (into a G-Major then a Mesa 20/20) and using it would allow you to use your third preamp as well... The patch editting required would be something you'd have to play with after wiring everything up, but I run midi into my G-Major, and then just run a midi chain through the two preamps and into the MidiPro (theory being that the preamps have a split second to switch patches before the switcher routes the correct one into the signal chain)... anyway, it's pretty simple once you have a switcher/router of some kind, but pretty much impossible otherwise...

#5 ·
Jammy said:
Sorry I can really help you with your problems, but i do have a quick question for you... How does the behringer foot controller behave with the g-major? Ive heard they sometimes have compatability problems...

-better shred than dead-ANDY
I contacted Behringer and they sent me (for free) an upgrade module that I plugged right into the FCB1010 and then I did the firmware updates for it and everything works great.
Once you spend some time figuring out the different modes of the FCB1010 it's a VERY powerful footpedal that does WAY more than people realize I believe.
It does extremely well when using the continuous controller functions along with the G-Major, it made me realize how much more potential my rig was capable of than I was taking advantage...

#8 ·
The splitter is essential. You'll cut your tone in "half" if you just feed both preamps with a Y cable or an ABY box. It mostly affects the attack. I use an Uptown Pedal Pusher. If you can find one of those its a good piece. They probably only made like, five of them :lol: but it gives me 8 distcrete outs. I feed 5 different preamps seperately and then control the returns with loops.

#9 ·
2 threads in one, this might get complex! I'm expecting a slap from the mods for a few of us!

Jammy, I use the FCB-1010 and G Major, and have had no snags with assigning various parameters, such as pitch shift, to the expression pedals. The limitation is the number of CC functions you can have, but you can still do way more than most of us would ever need to! TCs web site has loads of info on this.

#10 ·
I've got a dual preamp setup. I use a loop switcher to take the basic G signal and switch between whichever preamp I want to use (each preamp's on a separate loop). The main output of the loop switching box then goes into the rest of my effects. Works very well, is clean and MIDI controlled. You could even run one preamp into another with this set up although I've never tried!!

The loop switcher I use is a Ibanez EP400 which is V old. Rocktron used to do a switcher but nowadays you'd probably use a 'Ground Control' rack unit to switch. You could also look at one of the cheaper bob bradshaw units.

It's going to cost you though - £400ish for a MIDI controllable one.

You could also look at www.guitargeek.com and see what the pros use.

Hope this makes sense,

Haydn[/url]

#11 ·
Switchers

Well, everybody keeps talking about this ground control unit, but from what I see on it, it doesn't give me the ability to use my CC pedals which I use quite frequently on my FCB1010.
I don't want to have to buy another footpedal that's going to control the gear and then have another footpedal for CC pedals.

#12 ·
The Axess GRX4 should do the trick. (axess-electronics.com) The loops are hard bypassed. One problem with the Rolls loop/switcher, and many other loops including the Rockman is that the input-to-send connection is always made. The loop only toggles between the input signal and the return signal. So whatever device is in the loop is always connected, and therefore always loading the signal. It's less important post-preamp. That signal is usually healthy and boosted enough to withstand the "Y" cable effect of these loops. But a guitar signal is anemic at best, and if you split it to two or more places (amps, preamps, pedals, whatever) it really ruins the tone and feel. So if you use loops that are truly bypassed, that's fine. Otherwise get a buffer/splitter like the Axess BS2, and you can loop the returns off the preamps while leaving the guitar signal plugged in all the time. This all makes the footswitch you use irrelevant. Keep using the switch you like. The Ground Control pedal and GCX switcher is a great combo, but various Axess products can do all the GCX can do, and it seems for less $.

#13 ·
Re: Switchers

JiMoSiTY said:
Well, everybody keeps talking about this ground control unit, but from what I see on it, it doesn't give me the ability to use my CC pedals which I use quite frequently on my FCB1010.
I don't want to have to buy another footpedal that's going to control the gear and then have another footpedal for CC pedals.
A couple of years ago I looked at the FCB1010. I couldn't find anything in the manual about programming the actual pedals themselves (to put out specific MIDI info rather than preset). If you've got an intelligent piece of rack equipment (like the g force) it'll accept your defaults and 'learn' what you're sending from your pedal but if you want the actual footpedal to specifically put out a specific controller info it seemed beyond the 1010 (but please correct me if you're wrong). Also can it simultaneously which more than one MIDI device.

While we're on the subject I've owned a couple of other footpedals that some people might be interested in:

Yamaha MFC10

Completely programmable allowing you to use up to 6 continuous controllers and also simultaneously switch up to 4 MIDI devices. Well made (if plastic) and very straight forward to programme.

Rocktron Access (my current controller)

Absolute monster

Build like a tank (all metal with 'old school' switches)
Can switch 16 MIDI devices at once
Each preset can reassign your continous controllers
Named presets

Only 2 controller inputs but with the programming flexibility you shouldn't need more than that.

Haydn

#14 ·
Haydn, you can program the pedals themselves on the FCB1010. They can also send out info on more than one channel. For example I use mine in conjunction with my Marshall 6100, which receives midi on channel 1, and G Major, which I have set to receive on channel 2. Each pedal is entirely programmable, if I remember correctly it can send out midi on 5 channels simultaneously. Chapter 2 in the manual!

#15 ·
Algiman said:
Haydn, you can program the pedals themselves on the FCB1010. They can also send out info on more than one channel. For example I use mine in conjunction with my Marshall 6100, which receives midi on channel 1, and G Major, which I have set to receive on channel 2. Each pedal is entirely programmable, if I remember correctly it can send out midi on 5 channels simultaneously. Chapter 2 in the manual!
It's possibly better than the Yamaha then. I was very impressed with the build quality of the Behringer (especially at the price) but just wanted that extra bit of flexibility which is why I went for the Rocktron. The Behringer's obviously a lot more capable than I originally thought.

H

#16 ·
I didnt want to start a new thread to ask this as my question is quite similar.
So, I have a Laney vh100r that I love for clean sounds, crunch and über hi-gain rhythm, but its just not my thing when it comes to lead sounds. Now if I use its poweramp to drive a preamp, what would I have to do to "go back" and use the amp normally. So power amp to drive a pre for leads then hit a switch to use the amp itself for other sounds.
thanks

#18 ·
Your post seems a little far fetched with what you're trying to do...

If you're talking about running the output of a power amp into and preamp forget it - you'd blow the input of the preamp in a manner of seconds.

If you just want more distortion, try an overdrive pedal (tubescreamer, on e of the boss ones) - that'll be your best option with a valve amp.

I'm afraid it that doesn't work - you've probably not got the amp you need

#21 ·
You need to find some form of line selector that can operate like 2 loops. There are a few out there, but it can get difficult to match levels. Like monkeyboy said, if all you are after is more gain or tone shaping, try playing about with a distortion or overdrive pedal, or even an eq pedal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.