Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My Ibanez Custom Model - what would yours be?

Tags
aanj neck abalone binding abalone dot inlays abalone dots abalone vine air norton air norton neck alder body alternate tuning alternate tunings angled jack birdseye maple neck black headstock bridge pickup bridge pickups bubinga neck caparison guitars chrome hardware chrome jem coil split coil splitting coil tap condenser mic cosmo black hardware custom guitar custom ibanez darren wilson dimarzio breed dimarzio chopper dimarzio evo dimarzio evolution dimarzio paf dimarzio paf pro dimarzio pickup dimarzio pickups dimarzio pups dimarzio strap dimarzio tone dimarzio tone zone dimarzio virtual paf direct mounted pickups dot inlay dot inlays double edge bridge double edge pro double edge trem ebmm silhouette ebony board ebony fingerboard ebony fret board ebony fretboard ebony neck edge bridge edge pro bridge edge trem equipped guitar evo bridge fernandes sustainer fixed bridge flame maple flamed maple fret aanj fret aanj neck fret access fret board fret neck gotoh tuners hardtail bridge headstock overlay jack socket jackson soloist jem neck jem pbk john petrucci jumbo frets les paul les pauls lock nut locking tuners magnetic pickups mahogany body mahogony body maple binding maple fret maple fretboard maple neck master tone matic bridge mini toggle monkey grip mounted pickups neck humbucker neck joint neck pickup neck pickups neck position neck scale neck thru neck thru body norton neck paf pro paf pro neck paf pro pickups pickup cover pickup switch pickup switching piezo system pro edge pro neck pro pickups pull tone pyramid inlay quilted maple reverse headstock reversed headstock rosewood board rosewood fingerboard rosewood fretboard schaller strap locks seymour duncan seymour duncan custom seymour duncan jazz shawn lane sperzel locking sperzel locking tuners stainless frets stainless steel frets steel frets strap lock strap locks strat style string thru body sunburst finish super wizard neck swamp ash toggle switch tone zone tone zone bridge tung oil tuning system upper fret upper fret access viper neck virtual paf walnut neck wizard neck profile zone bridge
15K views 70 replies 59 participants last post by  Anders_destium 
#1 ·
Mine would be:

An RG body, mahogany with flame maple top

mirror pickguard

2 dimarzio 'buckers, a TZ in the bridge, AN in the neck

fixed hardtail

piezo pup

birdseye maple neck w/ ebony board, no inlays

reversed headstock

smoke chrome hardware

I may not have the bucks now, but when I finish college and get my computer nerd job, I'd probably afford a custom.
I wish Ibanez would do customs, like Jackson or ESP, but more reasonably priced.

#27 ·
My Ibanez Custom Model

Mine of course would be:

JS body w/ lions claw. Either Basswood, Ash, or Alder. Two humbuckers with the coil split for single coils.

Some kind of blue finish with a clear pickguard. Lo Pro Edge. 22fret all maple neck with the option of getting a 24 fret neck. Same frets found on a JS. Neck would be the same measurements as a Wolfgang and of course unfinished like a Wolfgang. AANJ.

Basically a combination of a JS, Jem and Wolfgang :cool:

#30 ·
My Ibanez Custom Model

Ibanez already built mine - it's the RG7CST - just wish I could find one for sale... Flamed maple top, mahogany body, maple neck, ebony board with no inlays, Double Edge, Dimarzio pups... Only thing I'd change is I'd a single coil in the middle and put a push/pull on the tone to split the neck humbucker...

#31 ·
My Ibanez Custom Model

Jem body(mahogony),highly figured sapele top(transparent blue)Abalone binding.Wizard neck with ebony fretboard,pearloid binding and abalone tree of life.Powder hardware,lo-pro of course and matching headstock.No pickguard(direct mount).Tone zone and humbucker from hell.3-way switch and another one with a double-edge.

#32 ·
My Ibanez Custom Model

Well, mine's changed a bit. I still want the other one, but I also want this:

RG-7 style mahogany body
Quilt maple top
Double-Edge-7
EMG-707s in bridge & neck
2 vol.
2 tone
3-way selector
separate jack/controls for D-Edge
24 Jumbo Frets
Rosewood fretboard
Maple Wizard-7 neck
No inlays except small "2" on low-B side of fretboard @ 12th fret
Gold hardwareAANJ
Angle jacks
trans. black finish
black headstock

And a 6-string similar except with Transperformance Self-Tuning system, whatever pickups sound most like a Les Paul (by DiMarzio) except with a little more output in bridge, and no piezo.

(Edited by Two hands31 at 9:47 pm on Feb. 25, 2002)

#33 ·
My Ibanez Custom Model

OK the current designs are...

The Jono7BWH

Neck
-AANJ Maple neck with rosewood board.
-Non tilt JS style headstock.
-JSish neck Profile
-24 6105 Frets last 4 scalloped
-25.5" Scale length
-Split block mop/abalone Ibanez inlays (as seen on PGM 10)
-Matching white headstock with chrome logos

Body
-Basswood Jem body with AANJ
-Rear routed
-H-S-H pickup configuration
-Clear scratchplate
-Direct mounted pickups
-Abalone purfling with pearloid binding
-White finish ala JEM7VWH with the special non yellowing stuff.
-angled jack socket

Hardware and electonics
-Black DiMarzio JonoBucker bridge pickup, JEM single coil and PAF Pro neck pickup.
-5 way switch
-JonoBoost mini toggle
-Single master tone and master volume (with treble bleed) controls with metal knobs
-Original Edge Bridge
-Chrome Hardware

The JonoBucker would be a specially designed humbucker that sounds like a PAF Pro until the "JonoBoost" toggle is engaged then it alters to sound exactly like an Evo bridge. I've often thought this would be a great and instantaneous way to get different rhythm and lead sounds, and I'm sure Steve Blucher would be only too happy to spend hours perfecting this system;)

The second guitar in my signature line ;) would be the J4

Neck
-AANJ Padauk neck with ebony board.
-Reverse Ibanez angled headstock.
-JSish neck Profile
-24 6105 Frets last 4 scalloped
-25.5" Scale length
-Small Abalone dot inlays (from JS 1000)
-Natural headstock with white logos

Body
-Padauk Jem body with AANJ
-Rear routed
-H-H pickup configuration
-Clear scratchplate
-Direct mounted pickups
-Natural finish-angled jack socket

Hardware and electonics
-Black DiMarzio JonoBucker bridge pickup, PAF Pro neck pickup.
-3 way Petrucci style switch in normal JS position
-JonoBoost mini toggle
-Single master tone and master volume (with treble bleed) controls with metal knobs
-Original Edge Bridge
-Chrome Hardware

#34 ·
My Ibanez Custom Model

Body shaped like an RG but contoured like an S. Wizard II neck. 26" scale. Green stained quilt top inset 1/4" inch from the outside w/ the outside 1/4" gloss black. Neck-thru. Lo Profile double edge. Oiled neck. Output jacks on back of guitar. EMG 81-S-60 pickups.

Whoops forgot to add that the body would be made out of korina and the neck out of maple. And a clear pickguard.

(Edited by pd0x at 4:39 pm on Feb. 27, 2002)

#39 ·
My Ibanez Custom Model

oh oh ooooooooooooooooh
-i would have to test a bunch of woods out, but probably a flamed maple topped mahogany RG

-a neck probably a LITTLE thinner than a wizard 2, but not a wizard....more like the neck on the artist, but not as round on the back

-standard frets

-one would have a fixed bridge and the other will have a floyd (twins!!)

-bucker splitters for neck and bridge

-no inlays on it, except for the name of the guitar on the 12th fret (no laffin)

-neck thru of course :)

#40 ·
My Ibanez Custom Model

My custom Ibanez....

OK, basically it would start off as the RGT-3120. I would have a AAA Flame top (1/4 think). I would then have the body with the regular contours as the RG. But have the top carved Ala-EBMM Silhouette/JPM. For the finish I want a 3-color blue-sunburst finish. Medium Blue in the middle to Dark blue, then to black. For pickups I would have a nortan neck HB. For the bridge i would have dimarzio make my own custom humbucker that is a combo. of the Full-ness (if thats a word) of a Breed (Mids and Bass) and the Highs and cut of the Evo with a little more out-put. I would have to two perfectly balanced so there is no volume difference between the two. I would have a 5 way switch (1. Neck full; 2. Neck humbucker Phased; 3. Both full; 4. Bridge phased; 5. Bridge full). Then a push/pull tone control to parallel the pickups. I would have a double edge bridge with the new controls. Hardware and pickups black. I would have the Ultra Neck but oiled, not panted. Thats about it.

#41 ·

JS shape
Alder body
Maple top in greenburst
JS1000 knob and pickup selector configuration
Super Wizard neck
Ebony fretboard
gold hardware with lo-pro
Fred neck pu, Tone Zone bridge pu
pearl inlay on 12th fret (not sure what kind exactly) or vine.
recessed input jack
a good setup
and a side of fries

#43 ·
hm...hard one..... a ic body with neckthru and mahogny body and the same neck that the 7dbk has, 24 frets and the best vib system ever (Dont know which that is), and a emg 81 humbucker at the bridge and a di marzio breed at the neck and maybe i single coil in the middle

#44 ·
alder body RG 7 with flamed maple top
ultra 7 neck profile... not really ultra 7, but just like on my 2027x
longer neck scale 26 something, like on yamaha drop6's
H-H pickups
lo-pro double edge
blank dark rosewood fingerboard (side dots only) with 24 #6105 frets
african style painted finish

somewhat like this:

#45 ·
This is mine, which I hope to make a reality. Basically, I want a RBM.

Pau Ferro neck and fretboard (22 frets, JEM specs)
Mahogany body (oil finish)
Jumbo frets
String thru strat style bridge (no trem)
Gold hardware (Sperzels and such, but no pickguard)
DiMarzio Breed in the bridge and two DiMarzio Choppers.
AANJ
Three-way blade style switch (never use the inbetween postions)
One Volume knob (don't use tone knobs)
Piezo system

I would have a headstock decal that says,"Rebel Voyager" Which stands for REB modEL Voyager. Can't copy the body design without a tip of the hat to the man.

#48 ·
RG body(alder), red, red mirror guard, one angled single sized hum(Fast Track 2, red) , one volume knob (red)in the tone spot with a push/pull switch allowing parallel from the PU, LoPro Edge, Wizard neck, 20" radius, #6000 frets, maple/ebony neck with red dots.

(EDIT): after now hearing about Caparison Guitars, my dream axe would have to be 27 frets, with an extra deep cutaway on the treble side horn.

#49 ·
  • 7 strings
  • 27" scale
  • JS body (figured walnut)
  • Neck thru (5-piece maple with 2 bubinga stripes)
  • Bound ebony fretboard
  • 24 frets (Dunlop 6105)
  • Seymour Duncan '59 neck
  • Seymour Duncan JB bridge
  • 1 vol, 1 tone, push-pull on each for series/parallel pickup switching
  • Three-way toggle
  • Angled output jack
  • Fixed bridge, strings through body
  • Angled 4+3 bound headstock similar to Iceman or Soundgear design (11 degree tilt, straight string pull)
  • GraphTech nut
  • Sperzel locking tuners
  • Figured walnut headstock veneer to match body
  • Tung oil finish on entire guitar
  • Schaller strap locks
  • Chrome hardware

#51 ·
darren wilson said:
  • 7 strings
  • 27" scale
  • JS body (figured walnut)
  • Neck thru (5-piece maple with 2 bubinga stripes)
  • Bound ebony fretboard
  • 24 frets (Dunlop 6105)
  • Seymour Duncan '59 neck
  • Seymour Duncan JB bridge
  • 1 vol, 1 tone, push-pull on each for series/parallel pickup switching
  • Three-way toggle
  • Angled output jack
  • Fixed bridge, strings through body
  • Angled 4+3 bound headstock similar to Iceman or Soundgear design (11 degree tilt, straight string pull)
  • GraphTech nut
  • Sperzel locking tuners
  • Figured walnut headstock veneer to match body
  • Tung oil finish on entire guitar
  • Schaller strap locks
  • Chrome hardware
Hellishly close to mine actually,I'd go for a mahogany jem pbk/rb style body,Thats the only real differance,Oh and Evo's ... Don't spose you like Les Pauls and telecaster thinlines as well do you ?

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.