Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Changing parts on collectable Jems - ... does it change the

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  kennydoe 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering if the worth of a collectable guitar like the GMC or FP or DNA or whatever, will be affected if the original parts are replaced with newer ones. For example, if the trem is badly pitted, will replacing it for a brand new one affect the value? What about like the neck plate? (Does Ibanez still even manufacture neck plates?).

Another thing I noticed is that of the collectables, only DNAs are trackable to serial numbers. How come something like the GMC is not tracked to like xxx/366?

~Donovan  :mc:

#2 ·
Changing parts on collectable Jems

Well it really depends on how you view your guitar. Do you take it to be a wallflower or a kick ass shred monster that you're gonna coax an endless amount of notes from. But then again....pitting on the trem does not affect playability. But it is an indication of how much you've been playing the guitar and how old it is.

For some people ALL original guitar parts matter but for others just so long as the strings and frets are there....that's all that matter.

Well the reason why MCs, GMCs and PMCs never had serial numbers likes XXX/336 for GMCs is well, very simply, because they were not limited edition runs. They were production models, which due to the circumstances led to small production runs.

But one thing that I could never ever understand is why Ibanez never did the XXX/759...what the hell is up with that? :glare:

#3 ·

Upgrading worn parts on the collectable Jems will actually raise the selling price of the guitar. However, the increase may not offset the cost of the parts.

The Jem neckplates are not available to order. Only the black neckplate with the Ibanez logo is available.

J>

#4 ·

a couple of people asked me the same question when i put the gold hardware on the BFP...I'm more concerned about having a guitar that looks good and plays good than about the 'collectors value'.

The Cosmo that was on there when i bought it was badly pitted/corroded and the guitar itself looks 100% better, even without the original color hardware. Screw it if it detracts from 'collector's value'.

Then again, i keep guitars forever, (or until they don't have anymore notes left in them).

~Kenny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.