Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  WillTubarao 
#1 ·
Just received in the UK from US. Bought it on evilbay for $680, total cost to me with shipping, etc £450 including the hard case, which I think is an absolute bargain. It's in great condition - neck is perfect - only marks are slight wear on the saddles, and a knock in the lacquer on the back. I've only had RG 7's before, but this is lovely - can't wait to gig it next week!! I've been playing 7 strings for years and finally thought I ought to be playing a Uni - must say that I should have done it sooner!!

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/faymarine@btinternet.com/album?.dir=/1aba

I am however going to do DNA swirl on it, since I've been playing with swirling for ages and have just about figured it out now :? . So I'll post some more pics once it's swirled (I also have a RG7420 which I'm going to swirl and sell - more pics on that later also).

#6 ·
You got an awesome deal my friend. I defenitly think that we UK buyers should only buy from US from now on. I havent took the plunge yet but I do plan to. The price difference and money you save is just stupid. I am defenitely going to take the plunge over the next few weeks. How much did you pay for shipping and taxes by the way? And how quick was it?

Congrats on the new axe!
Gary - The.Godfather

#7 ·
Serratus said:
Thanks Rob - hope things are ok with you - I'm Rich from Devon (we've spoke a few times) - I'll try to post some pics of my practise swirls in the next few days - I'm finally getting a feel for it.
Cheers,
Rich
Heh heh, Alright dude, minds all over the place as you can probably understand, The swirl you showed me looked good, I hardly ever reply to e-mail at the moment, but feel free to add me on MSN ... nearly always there, unless i am tidying the house or generally getting on with life ...

If ya ever around MK way, Pop in :) and gimme that universe ;-)

Rob

#8 ·
the.godfather said:
You got an awesome deal my friend. I defenitly think that we UK buyers should only buy from US from now on. I havent took the plunge yet but I do plan to. The price difference and money you save is just stupid. I am defenitely going to take the plunge over the next few weeks. How much did you pay for shipping and taxes by the way? And how quick was it?

Congrats on the new axe!
Gary - The.Godfather
Dammit Gary, how many times do i have to tell ya ;-)

Tax's Custom's etc isn't to bad, as long as you plan for it ... Shipping time can be anywhere from 3-4 days priority airmail to 6 weeks Ground

As Rich told me, the bigger the box the longer it takes heh heh

Rob

p.s. Catch me on MSN, you may have to MSG first so i realise your there :)

#10 ·
How much did you pay for shipping and taxes by the way? And how quick was it?
I paid about £60 for shipping (can't remember exactly - it was just under $100 anyway), and that was for USPS air mail, which took 8 days door to door, which is pretty cool - I was going to pay for fedex but I'm pleased I didn't (they would have been $250!!!!!!!), and I didn't pay any import tax :lol: which is amazing (I think it's a bit hit and miss!!)

I've just done a load more practise swirls (just on bits of wood), I'll post some pics of them later.

#11 ·
Serratus said:
I've just done a load more practise swirls (just on bits of wood), I'll post some pics of them later.
Remember Serratus: REAL bodies works diferent than bits of plane woods, cuz the body cavities, grip and lionclaws increase the paint's thickness.
I only did a decent job after swirling on REAL bodies.
And the swirl is only 30% of the whole work: the CLEAR is the "charade secret" 8O
Anyway,
Keep swirling!!!!
TubarãoGuitars :D

http://www.geocities.com/tubaraodesigns/1000065.jpg

#12 ·
Thanks Tubarão, I have swirled three bodies, although I wasn't happy with them - still working out how to do it !! :? But I'm a bit closer now to getting it right - and yes I'm working out clear coats aswell - that's the worst bit because by then you have a lovely paint job and it can be really annoying if the clear goes wrong :evil: and it has happened to me!!! But I'm getting there - your swirls look great, by the way.

Here's some of my practise swirls:
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/faymarine@btinternet.com/album?.dir=/2571

You can see the brush marks from the undercoat on some, but that's just 'cause they were for fun - they wouldn't be on the real thing (undercoat would be sprayed). Anyway, more pics in a while once the guitars are done.

#16 ·
Tubarão, I'm going for a clear pickguard to see more of the swirl, but can't really justify spending out for a custom body at the moment (spent too much on guitars in the last few months :oops: ), so I think I'll stick with the Uni body - it will be front routed so you'll see the pots and 5-way, but I think that looks ok :D . My RG7620 is with Herc Fede being swirled and routed with a grip and lions claw at the moment, so at least my Uni will be different to that (although........(thinks for a minute)..........I could rout it myself - I have built guitars before so maybe...............)
Look at: http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/faymarine@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=/93f3&.dnm=2fb1.jpg for pics of the guitar I built - I have also made RG bodies so you never know - it depends whether I can wait until I've built the body before swirling - I'm a bit desperate to get on with the swirl :lol:

#17 ·
#18 ·
Wow ...A sevenstring telesomething! Awesome wood on there! How long did that take to build?
Took me a couple of months, although that was part time, here's what it is:

Bound mahogany body with 5A quilted maple top - the shape is kind of a cross between a tele and an EVH musicman,
Bound 24 fret maple neck with ebony board and quilted maple headstock (tilted back like an Ibanez - not straight like a fender), neck is same as my RG7620 around the back,
2 custom built Kent Armstrong humbuckers, each coil tapped by the volume and tone controls,
Mother of pearl scratchplate (soon to be replaced with mirror, I think),
Built in Roland Gk2-A synth pickup (on the top 6 strings), with switch and volume. It has a jack output and the synth pickup output,
Strat style fixed bridge strung through the body, and locking machineheads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.