49K views 225 replies 159 participants last post by  vladimirwarhead 
#1 ·
pretty self explanitory!!!

Whats your favourite?

I hover around the 1mm to 2mm range.
:twisted:

#28 ·
I use very stiff picks.
at the moment purple Dunlop picks 2mm. and I´ve drilled quite a few holes and scratched the surface (where I hold the pick) for better grip.
I also like Pick Boy Hard 1.00 ; the white ones with "Lego surface" at the grip but they´re sometimes difficult to get hold of where I live.
might just visit that brooklyngear.com homepage and buy a hefty bag full of them... :lol:

#34 ·
I use the yellow Dunlop Tortex. i think they're 0.71mm, but they might be 0.73... or are the green ones the 0.73? Anyway I use the yellow.

How did you guys arrive at your choice of picks? For a few years as a beginner, I just sort of randomly picked a "medium" gauge (much like the green Dunlop tortex), but one day I decided to be a bit more conscious about it, and I bought a dozen each of the white, yellow and green dunlop picks (I'd already decided that I didn't like the super thick stubby ones nor the really thin ones by trying them a few times.)

Then I played with the white ones for two weeks, then the yellow ones for a couple weeks, then the green ones for a couple weeks. (The green ones were pretty much what I had been using from the start, and what I thought I would prefer. But, turns out I actually liked the yellow ones the best.

I just mention it because I thought I knew what I liked, but when I actually tried a bunch consciously trying to see which one I liked without deciding in advance, I got surprised.

Edit: Hehe. I just looked at the poll results. Not what I was expecting to see, man you guys use monstrous picks. :)

#35 ·
Black Jazz III's for electric & red Jazz III's & Fender Mediums for acoustic.

I used to use Fender extra heavy picks for electric. I watched JP's REH vid & found out he uses the Dunlop Jazz III's, so I bought one out of curiosity just to try it out. Needless to say the extra heavys are gone. Every time I use an extra heavy on an electric it feels like I'm playing with an ice cream container lid.

I use Fender mediums & red Jazz III's for acoustic playing because I prefer their feel on the acoustic. They're not too stiff, so you're able to get very nice dynamics with them & they have some wicked pearloid colors too (the Fender's).

Catch ya's later........Joe :D

#39 ·
One Day the 3 little vais went into town. At the same little Red Jesse hood was walking throught the forest... looking for a place to rest. He came across the Vais house and knocked at the door.... there was No responce so little red Jesse hood walked in any ways. at this point he wanted to play guitar pretty bad, so he picked up a PRS but quickly put it back down..." no! the neck is MUCH to think!" the he moved on and just about touched a Tom Delounge strat..." ...NAH!..." then He saw a jem7vwh sitting in the corner.." just right" but now he needed a pick. There was a 0.21 gauge pick that just happened to be floating by..." too light". then he tried to pick up a 1.22 gauge pick... but it was too heavey to pick up off the floor. then he saw one stuck to the headstock..." Just right" so he continued jamming till the vais came home... then they ate him.

- The End

-fin

#44 ·
Ya know, I cant say I even know what the mm is of my pics.
I chose 1.5 but I could be wrong.

For Electrics, I use exclusively, the Dunlop Jazz III's
With the pointy tip..

I Love em and cant see myself playing anything else.

Now then, I do plan on having some regular picks made with my logo on then so I guess I could use those for my acoustic stuff.. hehehe.

#45 ·
you know, i'm REALLY digg'n these Jemsite picks i've got (the yellow ones) worn out.

after one side is worn, i flip it and play the other, then when it's worn, i get this little point. i love that little point! :)

i imagine i should try some jazz picks, as that's how they come new, right?

#46 ·
For fast shreddy stuff, I used to love using really light guage nylon picks. You can pick really fast with them. Haven't used them in a while though, because they tear easily and don't really take a lot of abuse. For right now, I'm using pink jemsite.com picks, which are about 1mm I think. :)

#48 ·
For a while now i've been using 0.46mm dunlops :S

They're awesome for sweeping although i'm still dubious whether it's easier to pick fast with (My previous favorite) a 1.mm pick.

I've been practising Scarified by Racer X for ages now and for the main riff it sounds better/is easier to play with a heavy 1.mm pick, although the sweeping and fast picking sections are easier to play with the .46mm pick :S

I think i need to find middle ground..

#49 ·
I used to use those big ass thick Fender triangle picks, couldn't strum worth crap with it, and broke many strings playing lead. On Strats no less. Around the time I got my first Ibanez in '89 I found a Dunlop nylon .88mm, it had the flex I liked for strumming, yet was stiff enough for pinched harmonics. Tried the Dunlop 1mm, too thick for strumming, but great for leads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.