Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Radius identification...help please

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  6828 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I can't pin down the exact model for you as my catalogues only go back to 92, but the closest one I've got in my 92 cat' is the 440RHH a twin humbucker Radius, hence the HH designation.

A 540RHH was also available but that had the usual "Custom Made" plaque inlayed at the 21st fret.

SOmething I did note was that the guitar in your photo had a slider switch whereas the 540RHH and 440RHH in my 92 cat' both have gibon style 3 way switches.

Maybe Rich can help us out?

#8 ·
Hey Jester,

Does that mean you were so impressed with my thrashed Crimson Radius that you want one now too ? :)

Greg,

I just bought a 540RLTD here in Australia and while the pictures looked pretty good the guitar was in much worse condition than the shop selling it, let on. (That's another story for another time). Please make sure you get better pictures of the paint finish, and fretboard before thinking about snapping this baby up. The pictures of my Crimson 540 looks good in photo's but that's just because flaws on red'ish guitars don't show up that well in digitised images. If there are faults of any kind with the guitar make sure they tell you about them before you waste your money on freight etc. $250 is a great bargain on a good condition Radius, one just sold on Ebay for $470 and it looked like someone dragged it behind a truck, or use it as a snow shovel. ;)

Regards,

Tony

#9 ·
Actually, a pal's looking for a H-H.  Can't get used to the middle pup being in his way on the H-S-S I got for him.  I like the H-S-S, myself - I'm a stratty kinda guy...

I think the $470 was lucky.  Usually under 400, but that $250 looks like a deal in any case.

#19 ·
Well I'll close the book on this one.  I saw the ad in MusicGoRound in Greenfield, WI also, I ran up there and picked it up this weekend.  Nice player guitar with plenty of nicks and dings, so it was priced about right.  I've done business with these guys before, I got my Yamaha 100 TC there (a Soldano combo). I needed to weed out my growing collection and this one I'll keep.  It has a Seymour Duncan in the bridge but its pretty old, I think a nice pair of gold covers would look good on it.
Rosster  
Hey Rich!

#21 ·
If it's any consolation when I phoned a different USA store, from Australia about a month ago to ask why no-one had answered my emails about a Radius they had, the guy said,

"If I answered all the emails I get each day I would have no time to serve or sell guitars in the store"

Either he was spinning me a line, or business is so good in the USA that they don't need to support emails/phone messages because there is plenty enough people going into the store.

It's extremely frustrating but that's life I guess. ;)

Tony

#22 ·
A store that's busy usually also has more people.  At Sam Ash we would've had time to respond to lots of e-mails.  There ARE some smaller places with few people that might be too busy, but then why have an e-mail address?  I suspect he just figured you weren't likely to buy or it was too much hassle (did you say you were from Australia?) so it wasn't worth his time.

#23 ·
I made my 2nd or third email sound like if I didn't get a reply about the guitar it would cause me to have a nervous breakdown. ;) I also used as much Australian in each email as possible while stating "Down here in Australia Radius's are bloody hard to come by mate, how about throwin this one my way cobber ?"

When I called he made a very nice offer by saying.

"You should come into the store and check out the RG we have"

I told him I would if he'd be willing to fly me over ;)

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.