Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Any Jems with one-piece necks?

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  The_Grindfiend 
#1 ·
Have there ever been (or are there plans for future) Jems with one-piece necks instead of the three-piece ones that all mine have? My oldest Jem, a 777DY, is starting to have problems at the scarf joint where the main piece of the neck meets the headstock. I'm afraid that with continued use of my newer ones, the same thing might happen to them. It seems to me that a one-piece neck would be more resistant to punishment like that. So are there any, or would I have to get a custom neck fitted? Thanks very much!

#2 ·
Max-T said:
Have there ever been (or are there plans for future) Jems with one-piece necks instead of the three-piece ones that all mine have? My oldest Jem, a 777DY, is starting to have problems at the scarf joint where the main piece of the neck meets the headstock. I'm afraid that with continued use of my newer ones, the same thing might happen to them. It seems to me that a one-piece neck would be more resistant to punishment like that. So are there any, or would I have to get a custom neck fitted? Thanks very much!
Here: http://jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/spec.htm

Seems like there's quite a few JEMs with one-piece necks... :wink:

#4 ·
7Vs have one piece necks - fingerboard and headstock don't count.
7Ds have 3 piece necks (bubinga stripe) - again fingerboard and headstock don't count.

Otherwise if you count all the pieces of wood on the neck the 7V does have 3 piece neck and the 7D has 5 but Ibanez don't count them, so...................

ilia

#6 ·
RAI6 said:
Based on this photo from the JEM "archives", I would say there is a major flaw in that spec list.........

http://jemsite.com/axes/model/jem7vwh2.htm

Looks like that 7VWH has a scarf joint, which means it's NOT a 1-piece maple neck.
By definition the neck is just the rear surface of the neck, the headstock is a separate piece like the body. They are one piece necks.

One piece neck and integral headstock construction are 2 different things ;)

#7 ·
littlegreenman said:
RAI6 said:
Based on this photo from the JEM "archives", I would say there is a major flaw in that spec list.........

http://jemsite.com/axes/model/jem7vwh2.htm

Looks like that 7VWH has a scarf joint, which means it's NOT a 1-piece maple neck.
By definition the neck is just the rear surface of the neck, the headstock is a separate piece like the body. They are one piece necks.

One piece neck and integral headstock construction are 2 different things ;)
That's a very different understanding of the term "one-piece neck" than the majority of the MI industry uses though; with most companies, a one-piece neck means that the neck, headstock, and fingerboard are all comprised from the same piece of wood-- most always maple. This is the construction method used on vintage '50s Fenders.

#11 ·
Rich said:
Fenders don't have an angled headstock, thus, no need for a seperate piece.
I'm not really criticising Ibanez's construction methods but ESP have 13 degrees angled headstocks on their M series guitars and a chunky volute - all made from 1 piece of maple.
Makes you feel secure knowing that paying that much money for a Japanese made guitar is justified by the quality of product you are getting.
Still - with the glue bonds being stronger than the actual wood, I'm sure that 10/10 times it will be the locking nut area that will break and not the glued area but it's still nice to see one piece of maple going all the way to the tuners.

ilia

#16 ·
A volute is fine, I find them clunky which is why I do the scarf joint, there is a theory that the scarf joint is actually stronger since the grain of your headstock wood is now running in line with the headstock instead of crossing it like in a solid neck construction. I don't know if the theory holds a lot of water, but it makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.