Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BZ Beetle 
#1 ·
im about to get a ltd mh 301 and i wanna know if they are any good? i play heavy stuff, and this would be a back up mainly, but maybe a main guitar. i dunno yet. it would back up my soon to be PRS.....im getting it for 500. 6 monthes old. tell me wassup on them

thanks

(Edited by jono at 1:27 am on Mar. 20, 2002)

#2 ·
Ltd guitars.........

well, I had my MH-201 for 3 months now...the 301 only has EMGs and neck-thru, otherwise it's the same guitar.

I gotta say, the QC is crap. there is no QC. I have misaligned inlays and side dots, there's a nasty dent under hidden under the truss cover, and the setup was complete sh*t. one more thing, if you're not planning on swapping the trem, be prepared to block it (you'll see what a pain that thing is!!:angryfire:).

BUT, the axe looks absolutely stunning, IMO best finish for the money (mine's green). most of the problems I can live with. I really dig the sound and Oh that neck!!! :love:

Overall, I think these are good guitars, with only minor problems. I strongly suggest you thoroughly inspect it before you buy...They're Korean made, so you never know.

#4 ·
Ltd guitars.........

mine is blocked until I can get an Edge. the Original Floyd will fit too (try it in before you buy, routings can be slightly different from guitar to guitar)

yeah, overall they're pretty good guitars. but if I was given the same choice again, I'd go buy myself a used RG for the same money or less

edit: spelling

(Edited by snakepit at 12:22 am on Mar. 20, 2002)

#6 ·
Ltd guitars.........

At USA prices the LTDs I've tried have been great little guitars :) Having said that I've only tried some fixed bridge models so can't give a fair view of a trem equipped guitar. The Korean stuff is getting better and better :)

#8 ·
Ltd guitars.........

I tried the M-301 and the equivalent horizon.

i'd rather go with a blocked M than a horizon, as the sound WILL change, I tried them both side by side.

The M-301 is a great riffing/rhytm machine which i suspect surpasses my RG520qs in that criteria. But when it comes to any kind of lead work, it lacks inspiration, for me at least. I felt the notes dying before me and i couldnt do anyhting thing about it.

I really like the rhytm sound tho, definitely has that Metallica vibe going on in there :biggrin:

#9 ·
Ltd guitars.........

I found a modded LTD H-307 for only about $500 which ended up being a great axe. It has locking tuners, Seymor Duncan Invader and Jazz pickups, neck-thru, green flame, bound neck/body, etc. It looks great, it plays SO easy, and sounds amazing. Unfortunatly, to buy one new, get new tuners and pickup routing, it would prolly run about $1000. For $500 it was a steal, but i would prolly not buy one and then try to modify it to this point simply because it is not worth the cash.

#10 ·
Ltd guitars.........

I had an Mh-301 for a few weeks. it wasnt a BAD guitar, but i didnt like the back of the neck. too thick and sticky for me. my money is still with ibanez. I didnt have major tuning problems, but my HEAVILY and broken RG270 stayed in tune better and i didnt use the trem at ALL. the finish was more of a deep deep red into black burst, with more of a flamed finish. stunning, absolutely stunning. over all, my money is with ibanez all the way. Best shredders ive ever played. next round i might try a jackson cheapie like a dinky or somthing to see how it is. im curious :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.