Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  mesavox 
#1 ·
And I found that they normally have a dislike for Ibanez guitars, not sure if this is an immature act (cos JP let Ibanez) or a genuine thing? Or I just browsed through too little topics?

#4 ·
I bet that when John was using the Ibanez model, all of those people thought that they were the BEST. :roll:

If he stops using the Music Man, and goes with another company, they'll probably all start taking THAT companies side saying that the Ball wasn't really all that great anyway. :roll: :roll:

#7 ·
Let's say the JP forum ISN'T littered with Ibanez haters :wink:
Marcel Coenen and Magnus Olsson are Ibanez endorsees and even in the catalog with a picture...Ron Thal's Swiss Cheese Guitar was a Blaze strat but he's endorsed by Vigier, who have actually recreated the BBFSCG and'll make 10 of those. Danny Joe Carter plays RG550s, Benl47 plays a PGM on his vids, I myself play a sh@tload of Ibanez guitars but I really disliked the John Petrucci models and stand by it and I will tell everyone who hasn't played one but wants to know. There's a lot of scepticism on the forum about the neck joint cracks on the EBMM JP models, BTW. What is generally thought of Ibanez is that it simply isn't a TOP NOTCH manufacturer like Tom Anderson, Suhr or Vigier, which is logical considering how Ibanez guitars are made. But it gets tedious to repeat the same opinions and knowledge over and over again so then you might get b@tch-threads nobody's waiting for.

#8 ·
What is generally thought of Ibanez is that it simply isn't a TOP NOTCH manufacturer like Tom Anderson, Suhr or Vigier, which is logical considering how Ibanez guitars are made.
well thats true for sure, the ibanez production models simply are not the quality of the likes of Tom Anderson, However if you would like an ibanez like that pic up a j-custom, thats all there is to it imo :D

#9 ·
I stopped going to the JP forum awhile ago when some kids would post these amazing videos of their playing, only to have some a$$clowns rip them apart about sloppy playing and poor vibrato, blah blah.

Nice words of encouragement. This seemed to happen often. Often there's a huge intolerance of different styles of music.

Maybe it's changed since then, but I don't really care to find out.

#10 ·
+1 regarding Polaris20's post. It's more of a fan forum than a musician's forum (although there's definitely a lot of talent stopping by). Sadly, to put it bluntly, this also means that the JP forum has a higher share of bigots and trolls than Jemsite, IMHO. I also have the impression that the crowd is a bit younger, and that there's an "inner circle" of long-time visitors who I find less welcoming than the ones at Jemsite. I more or less stopped visiting regularily when one of those "old boys" took real offense on a comment about Eddie Van Halen :roll: . Lighten up folks, life's short enough as is.

#12 ·
It seems that on the Dream theater website when they had that link on there with special footage which could be accessed with the purchase of TOT. I thought I saw John playing an Ibanez on one of the songs,, it seems like it was a universe. I think it was when he was sitting on a couch with the amp in the other room near the door. I may be wrong it may be other footage from a different time. Did anyone else see that?

~A

#13 ·
Allen Garrow said:
It seems that on the Dream theater website when they had that link on there with special footage which could be accessed with the purchase of TOT. I thought I saw John playing an Ibanez on one of the songs,, it seems like it was a universe. I think it was when he was sitting on a couch with the amp in the other room near the door. I may be wrong it may be other footage from a different time. Did anyone else see that?

~A
I doubt that he'll still be playing Ibanez after 1999 though, but in that footage, did he have long hair or short hair? :lol:

#14 ·
It was short hair,,, that's what I found to be a bit freaky. I was all footage of the T.O.T album. When I saw it I really didn't think to much about it. I've always associated John with the UV7BK's,,, for somereason it's more his model than it is Steve's. Maybe because he did more video's with it,,,don't know. It just sort of dawned on me a week ago or so, then I read this thread and realized or thought I seen him playing an Ibanez of of recent.

I can't imagine having all them kick ass Ibanez model in my name and then selling them all to go with another mfg'r. Is that required of them or something? Mustaine sold all his Jackson stuff,,, but I assumed that was sort of a protest,,,, he seemed angry with Jackson. But John I can't imagine him angry.

~A

#15 ·
dp15655 said:
+1 regarding Polaris20's post. It's more of a fan forum than a musician's forum (although there's definitely a lot of talent stopping by). Sadly, to put it bluntly, this also means that the JP forum has a higher share of bigots and trolls than Jemsite, IMHO. I also have the impression that the crowd is a bit younger, and that there's an "inner circle" of long-time visitors who I find less welcoming than the ones at Jemsite. I more or less stopped visiting regularily when one of those "old boys" took real offense on a comment about Eddie Van Halen :roll: . Lighten up folks, life's short enough as is.
I was on their every day in 2001/2002. I was a regular! But it's not the same. The guys who were regulars I don't think even post there that much any more.

#16 ·
I'll be the first to admit...if Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/Paul Gilbert weren't playing Ibanez, I probably still wouldn't be playing Ibanez.

I don't think I would I would discount Ibanez any for not having killer endorsees, but the artist thing definitely has an impact on me.

#17 ·
It takes all kinds. I'd just as soon they DIDN'T have the endorsees, but I understand why they do. IMO Satch wrecked my favorite guitar. But that's OK; kids buy because of him, not me. But then, that's why I buy lots of Ibanez - on eBay. I haven't had the same brand guitar as my "heroes" since 1990, when I sold my Kramer for my first Ibanez Radius.

#18 ·
JESTER700 said:
It takes all kinds. I'd just as soon they DIDN'T have the endorsees, but I understand why they do. IMO Satch wrecked my favorite guitar. But that's OK; kids buy because of him, not me. But then, that's why I buy lots of Ibanez - on eBay. I haven't had the same brand guitar as my "heroes" since 1990, when I sold my Kramer for my first Ibanez Radius.
So Satch wrecked your Radius model? :lol:

Well I can see why JP wanted to have "an identity of his own" and not continue with Ibanez, but there are lots of differences between the Ibanez JPM and the EBMM JPM though... :?

#24 ·
I played Ibanez before I was seriously into playing, before I studied or even knew who was endorsing what guitars.

If Vai, Satch, and every other endorsee left, I'd still play them. The ones I have now are likely going to be life-long keepers. Whether or not I buy future Ibanez guitars is another story... but I will always be on the lookout for good RG/Jem/JS guitars that pop up.

-R

#25 ·
I don't have any problem with Ibanez. I did a show this past weekend and used my J-Custom and a RG550 completely pimped out with lights and stickers, LOL. Sure there are plenty of people on JP's site who like EB, but there's nothing wrong with that and it's to be expected. Plus, EB is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with. My main complaint with Ibanez is the same as many of you - there is no customer service. But I've learned to just accept that. But I think there are plenty of Ibanez fans on JP's site because I've talked to them quite a bit.

I always hate to see people dissing either forum, because I'm a longtime member of both of them. I'd also rather see people contribute to making a place better instead of just leaving, but I understand why people get frustrated and leave too. There is nothing that gets rid of negative posters quicker than a huge helping of postive vibes. They can't stand that. :) Plus, Glen has really helped me along the way with forum issues (technical in nature) so I somehow feel these sites are tied more than some would think. But I still believe that all forums are cyclical and have their good and bad seasons. Everything, good or bad, seems to happen all at once.

Paul

#26 ·
What Paul said :) Any "official" site will tend to get a more diverse & potentially younger crowd than a board anyways so keep that in mind.

I could almost see Ibanez improving if it lost endorsers, cause then it would have to try harder in areas of customer support... instead of counting on automatic sales of new JEM models for example to fanatics ;)

Plus if Vai/Satch left we'd have their ideas in another company... competition helps consumers. I see that as beneficial long-term.

Either way the endorser, at this time, has no bearing on my opinion of Ibanez. I can understand why it does to many however... glen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.