Ibanez JEM Forum banner

It's not an edge? But what is it?

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  WillTubarao 
#1 ·
Hi guys.. I wrote awhile back about buying a guitar which the dealer told me was a model 450.. It's black with a maple neck, etc.. Well, once I got it.. the trem looks like an Edge, but it's got a screw on trem arm, but it doesn't say TRS or Low TRS2 or anything like that, and this trem is smoother than my last TRS 2 trem that was on my PGM 30 guitar.. This guitar says made in japan and has a serial number of 98 XXXX and says "Japan" below it.. Could it be a 550 that someone changed out the trem? Also, the posts don't allow movement up and down it doesn't look like? The bridge plate or that steel plate that has writing on it says something.. Like the examples that say "Edge" ect on the web site, but I can't see what it says? I'm wondering if it could say TRS or something, but I dont' know how to look short of taking off the springs, and I don't want to do that as I just set it up.. To be honest, I still love the guitar.. It's got a perfect fit tight neck to body fit.. The maple neck is a dream to play.. etc.. but of course I wish it had an Edge.. I see on the site it says you can't just change out a TRS or low TRS to an edge, but you can change it out to a Floyd which is what I'll do I think, or just block it.. I really wasn't much of a trem guy except with my wolfgang which even though it had a floyd copy had a good one it seemed, and almost always stayed in tune for me.. I've also had Kramers that had real floyds that stayed in tune.. This one though on the Ibanez feels as good to me as the real floyd.. and it seems to have more sustain than the PGM model did.. I mean a lot more.. Maybe it's just the guitar.. See pics attached and please let me know what you think it maybe? I'm wondering if someone didn't mess with this trem? It's like it's half edge and half TRS or something in looks.. What should I do if I decide I want a good trem? Go for the OFR route?
Thanks for the help guys..
Tim

See less See more
#7 ·
Any local store should have, or be able to order, a bar for that holder. I'd take the guitar with you to make sure you get the right one though. You could also order a new socket with bar from Stewart MacDonald if you don't have any luck finding one local.
The studs to adjust your tremolo height are allen head. They're 4mm. Be sure loosen the inner stud lock screw BEFORE you try and lower your action. If you raise the action, tighten the inner stud lock screw after you have the action where you want it. They take a 1.5mm allen wrench.
Completely off topic, but where in Indiana are you located? --Jason

#8 ·
jkars.. I don't see the allen head in the stud? I am wondering if they took it off this tremelo? I'll post a pic.. Also, I want to change out the trem so that it accepts the bar that came with the trem originally.. The push in kind.. The current bar wiggles too much and the other type is the one I liked as there was no play in it.. on the Ibanez that I played that was also a 550 with an edge.. So what parts do I need to do that? Is it hard to do? I mean do I need any special tools or anything? I'll post another pic to show the studs as I'm confused.. Thanks so much..
Tim

#9 ·
To put a standard Ibanez pop in bar back on your tremolo, you just have to change out the tremolo arm socket. You don't actually swap tremolos. You can email Ibanez Rules and see if he has a complete socket and arm for sale, or post a want ad over in the classifieds.

Here's a link to the tech section that should help you out with you tremolo adjustment. Any other problems just post them. We'll get you through it man! --Jason

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/t_1setup.htm#step2

#11 ·
Jason,
You rock man.. I just posted a question about the trem posts.. I'm confused there too.. I want this thing to be original with the trem like it was from the factory.. So I really apprecaite your help dude.. If you see the part numbers let me know.. I need to know exactly what I need to order from the dude at Ibanez rules so I can do so.. Is it hard to change out the Trem arm socket? What's involved?
Thanks man..

#13 ·
I might end up blocking it for the time being and then later getting all the parts to fix it.. if it becomes a pain in the u know what.. as I really need to get some pups too and don't have the cash for both.. I just hate blocking such a nice trem.. But, I do it with wood and can always un do it.. so it's not that big of a deal.. I normally don't like trems, but the Edge has the best feel and flutter of any trem I've ever played.. The only other trem I really ever liked was the Real Floyd and even better was my brothers 1990 PRS.. That's a great set up because there's no locking nut, etc, but it stays in tune pretty well really.. even with some pretty good yanking!
Tim

#14 ·
The stud looks fine. You're probably looking at the inner hole, which leads to a little tiny allen bolt way down there. That's for locking the stud in place once it's set. The main adjustment is up above that. I don't think you're seeing it, because you're focused on the inner hole.

#15 ·
It's still kinda hard to tell from the picture, but I wonder if the top part of the stud has been broken off? Have you tried the 4mm allen wrench in that stud? If it is broken, you'll need a pair of them too. Just email Ibanez Rules and tell him you need the complete tremolo arm socket and bar. He'll know exactly what you're talking about. It's a piece of cake to change out the socket. All you need is a flat and phillips screwdriver and a wrench to tighten the nut on the new socket. I think it's 10mm, but don't hold me to that. --Jason

#17 ·
I still see the bottom of the hex shape too, but I'm still thinking the top is broke off. Judging by the picture, it looks jagged, and is flush with the top of the tremolo. It should slightly taller. The moral of the story is if you can't get a 4mm allen wrench to fit, it's screwed up. And if you're going to buy one, you might as well get a pair. That way you've got a backup if it happens again. --Jason

#19 ·
It's all working now! Thanks guys.. I just now found this thread.. I'm still trying to figure out the forum software.. I'm going to delete my subscription.. I've already ordered and received the arm and arm assembly from Rich at Ibanez Rules and installed it.. It works.. The best Trem on earth these Edges are.. The only one as good or better is my brothers PRS, but I don't think it would take the abuse this one would!
Thanks
Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.