Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  TAorama 
#1 ·
Howdy,
My first thread on this glorious jemsite forum. Feel free to welcome me :)
Anyhow,
If you had these two guitars available for purchase (lets assume that both are in absolutely mint condition and price is just right(todays market price), would you take jem10 or j-c rg-metal?

Thx alot

#5 ·
Welcom to jemsite,

when I purchased my Jem90HAM, I chose that over a JC RG-Metal. IIRC the Jem90HAM was at least $800 more thhan the RG-metal, and worth every penny.
Most people would value the Jem10th over the Jem90HAM. By definition that would put the 10th ahead of the Metal. I must admit that metal would've been a pretty good deal.

Objectively both are highly crafted Japanese superstr@ts, ebony boards, DiMarzios (Evolutions on both 10th and 90HAM, a mix of TZ, BV and PAF(?) on the Metal)
Both have striking finishes (sandblasted metallic paint and metal pickguard vs black with engraved metal pickguard) biggest plus for the 10th is the vine, some may also prefer the alder body over the metal's basswood.

In terms of workmanship the J-Customs are at the top of the Ibanez ladder, but after handling a DNA, 10th, Jem90 (as well as PGM90, JPM90), RG-art, RG-metal, and several RG paints, I would say that the customs and the anniversaries are all equally excellent, and one step above the regular production Japanese signature series.

I would choose the 10, it would make a perfect companion to my HAM and DSY. I definitely need a Jem with a vine.

...your mileage may vary

#8 ·
@learning to live,

the spec sheet on jemsite lists most features of either guitar, but some details are missing.

Firstly, when picking up the HAM after the Metal you will notice some differences in appearance and features.
1 The finish on the HAM, besides being different in color, HAM= icy blue, metal = matt-silver, with some dark micro spots, it is also rougher. Perhaps the sandblasting on the JEM90 was just a bit quicker. If you plan on playing, while wearing an expensive suit or a woolly jumper (Weddings, X-mass, whatever) the metal has a definite advantage.
2 The back cavity covers on the HAM are matched in finish to the body, the RG-metal has simple black cavity covers. Both are sandblasted from the same template, but the templates are offset slightly, so the patterns don't match from one guitar to the next.
3 The RG-metal has metal domed knobs, the HAM uses black knobs with white numbers. The RG-metal should have a silver tipped selector switch, often this is missing and replaced by a simple black tip.

Secondly, the neck is different.
1 The JEM90HAM is flat-wide, whereas the RG-metal is more vintage D, it actually feels narrower. The RG's frets feel smaller. I'm not sure if the official dimensions reflect this.
2 The Rg-metal has a full complement of offside dots, in contrast to the HAM which has only a 12th position double dot and a 24th fret anniversary plaque.
3 The RG-metal neck has a volute
4 The RG-metal neck is three-piece maple, the JEM90 is maple-bubinga-maple.
5 The headstock on the JEM90 matches the body.On the RG-metal it is black.
6 The RG-metal has a (metal) trussrod cover

The typical JEM vs. RG details are obviously there, monkey grip, angled jack, lions claw.

Lastly the pickups will make a huge difference in tone, but that is nothing compared to the difference in feel.

@akoch
simply stating that it's a J-custom doesn't mean a thing, as the workman ship on the anniversaries is way better than standard on MIJ signatures. The little details (cavity covers, headstock) on the HAM vs. the metal show that the 90s are a small step above the metal. In fact I would say that the JPM90HAM is on par with the RG-art, at least on the ones that I played.

#9 ·
"simply stating that it's a J-custom doesn't mean a thing"
Please no offense, I'm not trying to say that other Ibanez guitars are not as good. But j-custom matters to me (smaller banches, different feel to the most of them), as oppose to a name associated with a player. And the question was about the personal preferences, right? :) It is as simple as this - I would harly ever buy the 90HAM, but I"ll take RG-Metal in a heartbeat if I come accross one.

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.