Ibanez JEM Forum banner

another stupid sound card question

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  guitarshredder7 
#1 ·
i got a sound card in my pc, and it has an input jack, its 1/4 inch of course, but does it have to be a specail sound card ?

#4 ·
Mobo built-in sound card (good old sound blaster compatible), is usually not the first choice for audio recording. You can use it but may run into latency problems (delay caused by analog-digital signal conversion) and in general you may suffer with overall sound quality. You are also limited in number of inputs which in this case - only one.

If you haven't done it before, you can try recording with it, but many people go straight to buying a separate PCI audio card for better performance and quality.

#5 ·
David Ho said:
Mobo built-in sound card (good old sound blaster compatible), is usually not the first choice for audio recording. You can use it but may run into latency problems (delay caused by analog-digital signal conversion) and in general you may suffer with overall sound quality. You are also limited in number of inputs which in this case - only one.

If you haven't done it before, you can try recording with it, but many people go straight to buying a separate PCI audio card for better performance and quality.
sounds good ill try it and then buy a creative labs sound card. not a problem. anything else i should know

#6 ·
I don't advise you to get a Sound Blaster card, because it's pretty much similar to the built-in card on your mobo. Try the motherboard built-in audio first and see if you like the results. I suppose new motherboards have better soundcards these days... If it works for you, no need to spend the cash, right?

I tried it before (long time ago) with a SB32 but I ended up buying an Echo Darla (discontinued now). You can find those cheap on auction sites. But of course the best way is to buy the latest stuff (better technology): M-Audio, Echo, Audiophile and a whole bunch of other vendors out there makes great inexpensive cards. Check other threads on jemsite because many people posted this subject before. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.