Ibanez JEM Forum banner
24K views 151 replies 74 participants last post by  themaidenmaniac 
#1 ·
I noticed a post by Marduk111 that made a lot of sense and I thought it would be a good thing to create a thread about...

Who do you want to see as the 3rd G on the G3 Tour guys and girls?

I personally want to see John Petrucci (I know he has already been on it but not on a UK tour :()

My other choice would be Jerry Cantrell :)

[random muttering] I'm going to get my tongue "forked" methinks....[/random muttering]

take care everyone

Delfino

#4 ·
Jeff said:
Whatever they do, I hope they don't get Paul Gilbert. He's too much like Satriani and Vai to really be something interesting IMO. Pat Metheny would be a good choice.
Paul Gilbert is as much like those two as Petrucci was. So, IMO, not very much at all. He always strikes me as a singer/songwriter who can play great, whereas Satch & Vai sound like great players who also do singing and songwriting (Vai's complex "arrangements" and such excluded- I'm talking about 3-5 minute catchy fun songs).

That said, I would love to see Paul Gilbert... I think he would fit in great in the context of the G3 spirit.

-Ben

#5 ·
paul gilbert would be nice and i would also like to see vinnie moore (even though im an australian and none of the g3 lineups have ever come here) and there are a range of others that would be cool and different like koichi hayakawa (i think thats how you spell it) man this would never happen but i would even like to see one with gary moore

but i still have to say the next g3 i want to see is with DAVE WEINER as the 3rd g and for one of the g3 jams at the end to be of S.T.S.A i recon that would be really cool

#7 ·
I think for 2005 they should have a G5 tour...and hopefully not get their asses sued by Macintosh lol

And on that G5, there should be obviously Vai and Satch, but also Gilbert, Petrucci and...*thinks hard*... 8O how could I forget?! BUCKETHEAD!!!

My other idea was that one the G3 2006 tour as a kind of ten year anniversary thing (even though I know there was no tour on two of the years) they should get everyone back who has been on a G3 before and have a big anniversary type thing...that would rock in my opinion :D

Delfino

#9 ·
LOL hey dave just curious bro is that because you wouldnt want to be a G or because you dont think you are G status (this sounds so funny, i dont mean like baggy pants and too many hats guys) because if it is the latter i think you have already proved yourself already just about every time you play a song off passion and warefare. jees you and tony have to work on some of those. oh well i would be happy with your idea you opening and then seeing the g3.

what was your favourite g3 (mine was the one with yngwie for years steve joe and yngwie were my favourite guitarists) now i listen to way too many to really have favourites but i think as soon as i can hear all of shove aside the sun (look i typed the whole title) i am going to have a new cd to put among my favourites, im really digging these clips (thats why ive been posting so much i keep coming back while im listening to the clips) oh and did you get along well with yngwie?

#10 ·
My favourite G3 was probably the one that has just gone with Robert Fripp :).

On a completely random note...a spider bit me last night...I wanted to catch it and put it outside otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep (being an arachnophobic) but I couldn't find it so slept in another room, I go in my room this morning to find my cat (who I have been told looks like Yngwie) is chasing it...then eats it...

well now that irrelevance is over...everyone have a good weekend :)

Delfino

#11 ·
i never heard the one with robert fripp or heard his solo stuff and to tell you the truth it has been so long since ive heard king crimson that i cant even remember what his playing is like .

ive only seen the ones that were recorded with johnson and malmsteen and a friend showed me one clip of g3 with petrucci doing a zz top cover

i am trying to get a hold of some robert fripp stuff currently

#12 ·
Be good if they could get Eddie Van Halen to join them. Or maybe even get Tony Macalpine to be part of it (not that he isn't already!). Paul Gilbert is probably a bit too much like Malmsteen. Vinnie Moore likewise. Nuno Bettencourt was better in the 80's. Out of others, perhaps Ritchie Kotzen would be an interesting 3rd party?

#14 ·
I think a lot of guys around the forums would like to see Paul Gilbert as the 3rd "G".

His music would fit perfectly at a G3 concert in my opinion.

So many people made comments about Fripp on this tour, stating that his music wasn't compatible with a G3 setting. I personally liked it, but I would of liked watching Paul Gilbert a lot more.

Who actually makes the decision on who the 3rd "G" is?
Is it Steve or Joe?

If it's Steve, then maybe Dave could whisper Paul Gilberts name in his ear for next time around.

Tony

#15 ·
ive always believed that joe was the one who called the shots but honestly i cant remember why i believe this (has anyone seen the satch tapes) i think maybe i got it from there (its the only thing i dont have anymore where i might have heard it) does anyone who has it know if he talks about it. i may have just assumed as well since joe was the teacher so you never know. i have noticed that joe always seems to be the one who does all the announcing for g3

i still think vinnie moore would be great and i dont think it would be too similar to yngwie i know they are both new classical but (sorry yngwie i love you man) vinnie moore is a lot more mature about his music and would probably break it up a bit more than what yngwie did. dont get me wrong g3 03 was my favourite one so far.

lets take it further if billy sheehan left the show who would you like to see on bass (and dont say stu hamm its too obvious)

my vote would be john myung from dream theatre on the 6 string bass

#16 ·
marduk111 said:
ive always believed that joe was the one who called the shots but honestly i cant remember why i believe this (has anyone seen the satch tapes) i think maybe i got it from there (its the only thing i dont have anymore where i might have heard it) does anyone who has it know if he talks about it. i may have just assumed as well since joe was the teacher so you never know. i have noticed that joe always seems to be the one who does all the announcing for g3
G3 is indeed Joe Satriani's thing.

#21 ·
There are some great players out there, a lot of which have been mentioned, but their music just isn't as popular as Vai's or Satriani's.

Realistically I'd say there needs to be an act with a similar amount of pulling power as Steve & Joe in order to fill the larger venues for G3.

We all know and (insert appropriate words) Love/Respect/are insanely Jealous of/ Dave Weiner because without a doubt he is an excellent guitar player, and is currently in the best guitar based band on the planet. Plus we would all like to have his job! But as he says himself, he is not a "G".

Not yet anyway :wink:

#26 ·
would people here pay to see an accoustic g3 with another really good accoustic player. i know i would and what player would fit the spot i cant think of one at the moment that hasnt already been said (this would be great with vinnie moore)

what are peoples comments on this oh and dave would you enjoy being part of steves band for this. each set could be accoustic then a huge accoustic g3 jam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.