Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  atarilovesyou 
#1 ·
It's an RG2550egk, it's awesome except for one thing.... whenever I switch to the middle pickup position I get this annoying buzz. on the 1st and 5th position there's no noise on the 2nd and 4th there's a little noise, on the 3rd it's just annoying... this happens even when my amp's volume is not set out loud at all. Could it be a bad pickup? It's pretty disappointing... it only happens on the middle pickup tho, so anything I can do to fix this?

#3 ·
Thanks! I love it but was put off a little by the noise in the middle position... guess I expected everything to be perfect with this guitar... It's my first expensive guitar :) Anyway, so what I'm experiencing is normal for all single coils? Dunno if I'm quite ready to do any tinkering with this guitar... hehehe too scary right now

#16 ·
mr vai said:
Niece:):) :) :)

What is the differance between a prestige and a j-custom?
J-customs are produced in very, very low numbers, usually around 24 guitars of each model. Since the J-custom line is used mainly to experiment with new and differnt equipment the J-customs can have extra goodies, such as offset dot or J-custom vine inlays, piezos, Dimarzio pickups, very high quality flame or quilt maple tops and experimental finishes. All J-customs also come with a vastly improved AANJ, and have the highest standard in quality in construction, hardware, finishes etc. Although the Prestige lineup is EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY (my RG1527 and RG1570 are a testiment to that, they are absolutly perfect) the J-customs are one step above that. They are the highest quality guitars ibanez makes, and are well worth the money. I hope to save up enough to buy an RG8527!!

Congrats on the beautiful RG2550 Pablowablo!! its undoubtably an beautiful and fantastic instrument!

#17 ·
ibanez.shredder said:
J-customs are produced in very, very low numbers, usually around 24 guitars of each model.
I do not think the recent production run of j customs like the 8270 are limited to just 24 pieces. Some of the older j customs (rg-art etc) are very limited, but the "standard" j custom range in Japan are produced in fairly large quantities i believe.

#18 ·
I've had my RG2550 for a little over a month and am loving it!...good thing you took a pic before the pickguard got all marked up....ha, it's nice to have the 'original' look preserved for all time!....I'm beginning to tinker with my bridge, as the high E string is out of tune and the microtuner is bottomed out. This is my first Floyd style trem, so I read up on it and figured I could make this small adjustment...all I'm going to do is loosen the nut screw, turn the microtuner back to around half, and retune the string....bolt down, and carry on from there (probably retune the rest of the guitar)...

BUT, it seems the little kit of allen keys and such don't include a proper fitting allen key for the locking nut!...there's a key in there the looks like an L and has two little pads on it (one says prestige on it) that kinda fits, but very snug. I don't want to risk stripping the tool or the nut...

...any ideas?...and is this the tool for the locking nut, or is that type of allen key so common that they don't include it in the bag of tools with the Prestige?...I just counted and I've got four mini tools in the bag.

#19 ·
gargamelesp said:
I do not think the recent production run of j customs like the 8270 are limited to just 24 pieces. Some of the older j customs (rg-art etc) are very limited, but the "standard" j custom range in Japan are produced in fairly large quantities i believe.
Yeah I think you are dead right there. The newer J-Customs are made in larger numbers than 24. I would assume only The Customs such as RG-ART or RG-METAL were made in numbers like 24.

Atarilovesyou: The allen key that fits the locking bolt on the EDGE-Pro is the one that is used for the locking nut. It should be a snug fit, because if it is loose in the hex hole it will strip the bolt head.

#22 ·
ibanez.shredder said:
Yeah I think you are dead right there. The newer J-Customs are made in larger numbers than 24. I would assume only The Customs such as RG-ART or RG-METAL were made in numbers like 24.

Atarilovesyou: The allen key that fits the locking bolt on the EDGE-Pro is the one that is used for the locking nut. It should be a snug fit, because if it is loose in the hex hole it will strip the bolt head.
...I wish I knew which one you were talking about...the only wrench that remotely fits the locking nut (and it's not very snug...it's has a small amount of play, and after trying to apply gentle force I decided to wait until I buy a metric hex set) has, like I mentioned, two little foam 'handle pads' on it. I'm just going to wait till monday, but thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.