Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  elcid 
#1 ·
Anyone here have an EB MM Petrucci 7 string?
I am in the market for a good 7 string soon and I am seriously considering a Petrucci.
I had a Universe and a 7620, and I liked both, (well I loved the UV) but I don't want something with a floating trem.
I was also considering a Carvin, I hear good things from forums, but bad things from friends who have first hand experience with multiple Carvins.
Anyway anything anyone can tell me about their Petrucci or if anyone can compare/contrast it with a UV I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Also I wouldn't mind other 7 string suggestions but I am not looking for anything Korean (Schecter, 7321, etc) or entry level.

#5 ·
I have a EBMM JP7 and I really like it. The neck is really quite spectacular and the build quality looks really clean. Overall it feels like a really solid guitar that can take abuse and be extremely reliable. I also have a UV777BK and I have to say that I like the Ibanez better. That is purely preference though. I think the Blazes in the UV are clearer and for some reason I like playing it more. But the JP is just as good of a guitar.

However, the JP is a floating bridge. It's not a Floyd Rose but if you break a string, the guitar is is useless until you change them. It's a great guitar but it still has a floating bridge.

#6 ·
Your bumming me out telling me the Petrucci has a floating bridge, but I guess it's better that I find out now, thanks.
The guy at the shop asked me if I wanted a trem or not, so maybe he knows something I don't and it's available without a trem (though I doubt it).

I'm still leaning towards the Petrucci though, I can always block the trem.

#7 ·
How about Carvin 7s. Im an Ibanez guy at heart and have been loyal to it for a while but lately, i've been really liking the looks of those DC 727s and Tony MacAlpine's sig is looking pretty nice. I love his tone too and he has become one of my top 5 favorite guitar players, I love his Carvin 7s.

#8 ·
Flobanez said:
How about Carvin 7s. Im an Ibanez guy at heart and have been loyal to it for a while but lately, i've been really liking the looks of those DC 727s and Tony MacAlpine's sig is looking pretty nice. I love his tone too and he has become one of my top 5 favorite guitar players, I love his Carvin 7s.
They are nice Carvin guitars. Are they still using licensed Floyds in 7 strings? I read somewhere they were going to use OFR-7 trems from now on.

Regards

André

#9 ·
Shecter's where it's at, IMO, if you want something to differentiate from an Ibanez 7. You could go the USA route, but honestly I've been impressed enough with their Diamond series that I wouldn't even bother. I think the new black cherry C7 Hellraiser is going to be my next 7-string purchase - I'm not big on EMG's (they offer the Blackjack C7 with a '59/JB set, but I don't like black guitars generally), but if they don't work out for me I'll just grab some pickup rings and a set of duncans - it's a gorgeous guitar, and if a buddy of mine's C7 is any indication, it should be able to hang with your UV and 7620 with no problems, while providing a completely different look and feel.

#11 ·
Drew is right about Schecters. Lately, they have been coming out with some gorgeous 7s. I recently played a 007 elite at a music store and aside from the neck being a little thicker than what im accustomed to, it was still very nice, I wanted to take it home.

As far as Carvin's, Andre, go here www.carvinmuseum.com and check out what they have. Impressive stuff. Tony MacAlpine's sig just has a 'T-Mac' logo on it and I think his guitar is one of the nicest. 8)

#12 ·
Flobanez said:
Drew is right about Schecters. Lately, they have been coming out with some gorgeous 7s. I recently played a 007 elite at a music store and aside from the neck being a little thicker than what im accustomed to, it was still very nice, I wanted to take it home.

As far as Carvin's, Andre, go here www.carvinmuseum.com and check out what they have. Impressive stuff. Tony MacAlpine's sig just has a 'T-Mac' logo on it and I think his guitar is one of the nicest. 8)
Stop talking about Carvins and just get one! :)

#14 ·
I absolutely love the 6-string Petruccis, from my numerous Guitar Center jams on them...I don't have the kind of $$ to plop down on one, though (Although I'd definitely get a 7-string with Piezos if I did)

A Carvin would be nice too.

But my Schecter and Ibanez are both holding up fine...although my Wolfgang's getting more playing time lately, just because I like the pickups better (Although I miss the 7th string and the 2 additional frets when I play it...I really need to replace the pickups in my Ibanez and my Schecter, dammit.)

#16 ·
Schecter 7s have come a long way. I owned two A-7 Elite neck-thru models, and both were okay but there's NO COMPARISON to their newer ones like the C7 Blackjack. The C7 Blackjack has a MUCH better neck, heel (neck thru-like), sound, components, etc. It also must weigh half as much as the older ones (that's a good thing folks, despite popular belief... weight does not = tone).

#17 ·
Well, I'm oing to put money down on my Petrucci 7 this weekend.
My salesman made me an offer I couldn't pass up, and since the build time in 3 months, I will have plenty of time to get the necessary funds. So some time in April I will be the proud owner of a Desert Gold Petrucci 7 string.
On a side note he asked if I wanted it with a trem or without, I said without and he never told me that wasn't an option, so maybe it is available hard tail by request. I'll let you know when it comes in if I am pleasently suprised or not.

#19 ·
Yeah, I know that I could call and ask him to be sure, but it's not going to influence my decision one way or the other and I hate to keep asking questions so I figure I'll jsut wait and see. I'll be sure to post the result regardless

#20 ·
elcid said:
Yeah, I know that I could call and ask him to be sure, but it's not going to influence my decision one way or the other and I hate to keep asking questions so I figure I'll jsut wait and see. I'll be sure to post the result regardless
Definitely have him call, because I've never heard of a hardtail option at all. I just recently toured the Musicman factory and looked at the bodies (all routed for floating bridges) and checked out the hardtail prototype which JP scrapped. So unless it's something that just recently happened and EB hasn't even announced it, it's not an option. However, as was mentioned, definitely get a Tremel-no for it as it will fit it and you'll be fine.

Paul

#21 ·
elcid said:
Well, I'm oing to put money down on my Petrucci 7 this weekend.
My salesman made me an offer I couldn't pass up, and since the build time in 3 months, I will have plenty of time to get the necessary funds. So some time in April I will be the proud owner of a Desert Gold Petrucci 7 string.
On a side note he asked if I wanted it with a trem or without, I said without and he never told me that wasn't an option, so maybe it is available hard tail by request. I'll let you know when it comes in if I am pleasently suprised or not.
Awesome. Pics when you get it. ;)

#22 ·
elcid said:
Although, you may hate to ask questions, but I'm sure the guy would understand why you are asking them. If you don't ask questions, you could end up with a totally different guitar! (Not that you have actually ordered it yet, of course. ;) )

#24 ·
Just got back from putting my deposit down on the guitar, turns out it will have a trem. Kind of bums me out since they have to build the guitar anyway you'd think they could make it a hard tail just as easy as routing for a trem.
If they were cool guys they would do that, but I won;t let it bring me down. Pics when I get her in 3-4 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.