Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Agile les paul copy (floyd rose)

12K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Jackson Soloist 
#1 ·
any reviews or commments on these? Agile AL-2500 w/Floyd Rose. i was drawn to this because it is like neal schon's gibson.......except only $279. so, is it one of those "get what you pay for" things, or is it really a quality axe (im not expecting it to beat a gibson, but i don't want a piece of junk). i wouldn't mind an LP copy w/a floyd on it, but if its crap, i'll pass on it.

go to the 'bay and search for "agile" under musical instruments. its black with gold hardware. you'll see it. looks real nice, but who knows..........

#2 ·
Well, IF it came out in white with a white headstock I would be all over this, but since its only in black (rolls eyes, about the billionth guitar I've seen in black) I would have had a review for this..seemd really good for the money, might need a pup change and possibly bridge setup.

#4 ·
darren wilson said:
http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500blkfloydrose.html

Rondo music is pretty good about responding to customer requests. If you wanted that model in white, just contact them and they may just make it happen.
the only thing holding me back is the gold. arrg. thats why i sold my jem. i can't stand it! i emailed them to see if they could offer different hardware like chrome or something, but i doubt that will happen. i'll let you guys know when i hear from them.

#5 ·
I think that is a very good guitar for the money.

The floyd looks horrible, but I am guessing it would be very easy to swap a schaller onto that. Or maybe see if they would supply a guitar with one on as Darren suggests.

I don't know if you guys agree, but if something has the correct construction for good money and the right woods, pu's bridge etc you can change, and still get a decent guitar. I would go for it.

#15 ·
I got one of these last week. Only it's an AL2000 and it was $250. It's white, gold hardware. It would've been returned if I had no tech skills. The problems are all involving the locking trem & nut. The nut was mounted WAY too high. I had to file down the shelf a lot. That's worked out. The trem route was all messed up. Once I got the action low it was stopped from diving or pulling up very much because of a metal plate that the trem posts were mounted to.

This thing: http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchan...ROD&Product_Code=GSLTPI2&Category_Code=ltremp

Plus the route for the trem block was so tight that the arm holder thing that sticks out of the bottom of the trem was banging against it.

This is the trem that's on it BTW: http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchan...ROD&Product_Code=GSLT1&Category_Code=locktrem

I took out that trem post plate thing and knocked the posts out of it. The posts are too loose in the body holes now, so will need to be glued in. I then took a Dremel to the trem block route (not the recess part; that's fine). Once I put it back together it pulled up and down fine but went horribly out of tune due to the post bushings being loose plus I suppose just being a cheap Floyd knock-off. I can't stand non-low profile trems, another reason I was hating this one so I ordered this: http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchan...ROD&Product_Code=GSLT2&Category_Code=locktrem

which is merely a low pro version of the stock one except with black fine tuners which doesn't look as cheap. I plan on blocking it for dive-only anyway. Hopefully that will work out or else I could put an OFR that I have in it, but it's chrome and I'd want to switch all of the hardware to match(which I would prefer but what a hassle).

OTHER THAN THAT, I found the guitar to be pretty good. That's why I kept it. I mean, it has a Floyd and 24 frets AND a contoured comfort heel (it's not like a normal Les Paul heel). Those were 3 things I didn't like about Les Pauls besides the fact I just prefer RG 550's. It doesn't weigh too bad either, around 9 lbs. Frets were good. Pickups are ceramic and hot. Seem OK for now. It'll (fingers crossed) cure my desire I always had for Les Paul's.

#16 ·
I've played two Agiles in the past, and I thought they were both complete pieces of junk. However, some people seem to think they're fine, especially the newer ones. Keep in mind there is no 'Agile' factory, these are all sourced from larger factories, so perhaps they've got a new source. If money is your primary concern, then your choices are slim anyway. It's a crapshoot, I think.

#18 ·
If there's a phrase that really shouldn't have a place in discussions of musical instruments it's "for the money". Guitars are either good or bad, and after that, and only after that, they are either affordable or they are not. These aren't collectors items, where you can arguably make a case on something being good for the money or not (because the collector mindset isn't always to play the things), these are players. Anyway....

#20 ·
There you go ;) I've read lots of people say the same thing, and usually it's accompanied by things like ,"If you have a dremel handy it's not such a big deal", or "heck, I was going to replace all the pots and switches and pickups anyway". It makes me wonder what people are thinking when they look at these guitars. Like I said earlier, I've only played two but they wouldn't make decent canoe paddles. A flame top on a piece of crap just makes it a pretty piece of crap (sometimes).
Let me state for the record though that if you have one, and you think it's fine, then I wish you nothing but peace and love and good happiness stuff with it. I just have a problem wondering why people even consider them in the first place with far better used guitars typically available near the same price. (I realize if you need a glitter pink Telecaster with 7 strings and a 30" scale length you may have nowhere else to turn, but it's still going to be a slapped together with questionable components Chinese factory built guitar when it arrives at your door with that awesome! glitter pink flame top)

jim
(Live from bitter old man land today :lol:)

#22 ·
I've heard they're Korean, but I tend not to believe it given the amount of problems with the routing being reported in every Agile thread I see. They seem to be a step below Cort, Samick, and World. Maybe the're made in a shed somewhere in Korea, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.