Ibanez JEM Forum banner
13K views 73 replies 25 participants last post by  albee1952@hotmail.com 
#1 ·
To complement my collection a guitars, I'm off to "invest" in a Les Paul.
I'm not hugely knowledgeable about Les Pauls but I have always loved the look and sound.
What I want to know is, are there any specific things I should watch for when I'm shopping for one? Any typical faults I might not spot? Any other useful info?
I'll almost certainly be buying new, so I'd not expect to worry about breaks etc, and I'd have the warrantee for any faults that appear later on, but given the reputation Gibson have for poor quality control these days I'm treading carefully.

#2 ·
Delete which one numpty :p

I searched for over 5 years to find the right one, Just play as many as you can and the right one will find you bro, About the best advice i got, Oh and Gurj Maybe selling his, PM and i'll fire his email to ya Geeza (unless he spots this already)

Rob

#3 ·
Delete the other one with the dodgy title!

Yep, I recon this might be a long shopping process. All those hours, playing new guitars, no idea how I'll cope!

Your advice aside, what are the common faults causing so much frustration to buyers?

#4 ·
Some cheap Les Paul copys may have alder bodies instead of mahogany body.

I would give a try for a Tokai Love Rock, they are great guitars. Many people say that Japanese made Tokai Love Rock models like LS80F or LS85Q are on par with real Gibson Les Paul Standards. Les Paul Standards cost usually twice as much as Tokai Love Rocks.

And then there is always those Custom Shop Tokai's which cost from 2000 to 3000 euros but they are as good as Custom Shop Gibsons.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/

http://www.tokairegistry.com/

#8 ·
Jem7RB MK said:
Common faults as far as I was concerned, Was just not having the typicle LP sound, Just lack of playability, tone not being there, kind of airy sounding, general feel, and comfyness (you get used to the bruises on your ribcage)
I have heard some really BAD reports about Les Pauls. Especially the newer ones, say 2001 onwards. Mostly about the sound - some reviews say that the "fat sound" is "missing" and just isnt there. But from what I have read - the older ones are slightly better, around the 70's models.

#9 ·
I've heard similar, but the magazine reviews of the 02/03 models said that Gibson had finally sorted out their QC problems and were producing great instruments again. Since then I believe they have gone back downhill.

And a lot of the late 70s and 80s ones were awful!

#10 ·
I have actually only owned 2, a 72 custom in natural, maple neck and fretboard, fooking awesome, but got stolen years ago (mental maths occuring) and my 96 LP Standard, which Had it all, Sound, and bite, Sustain and Presence, but debts caught up and had to sell her :( (about 15 yrs ago was stolen, make me 16 so about right)

mid 70's can have weaker headstock joints, some early 80's are just plain firewood, etc... You just have to play them, Out of i suppose 150 odd LP's i've played, i only ever owned 2. and i am a crap guitarist so i am sure you'll find better ones quicker ;)

Rob

#13 ·
Algiman said:
I've heard similar, but the magazine reviews of the 02/03 models said that Gibson had finally sorted out their QC problems and were producing great instruments again. Since then I believe they have gone back downhill.
I may have to go and try out a few of the new ones then. Its about time they sorted out the QC issues, as its been going on for years. But a newer one may actually be better. Because that way, it can be taken back if anything happens to it.

#14 ·
I hear Gibson has good customer support so a new one may be the way to go. There are a LOT of choices now when it comes to LP's. If I were buying I would try out a couple of the Les Paul "classic"'s. I think they look great and have the slim taper neck, and I'd love to play a "Supreme" and an "Elegant".

This is a Les Paul Elegant.

#16 ·
shredfreak said:
Some cheap Les Paul copys may have alder bodies instead of mahogany body.

I would give a try for a Tokai Love Rock, they are great guitars. Many people say that Japanese made Tokai Love Rock models like LS80F or LS85Q are on par with real Gibson Les Paul Standards. Les Paul Standards cost usually twice as much as Tokai Love Rocks.

And then there is always those Custom Shop Tokai's which cost from 2000 to 3000 euros but they are as good as Custom Shop Gibsons.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/

http://www.tokairegistry.com/
I've gotta try their PRS copies (MIJ) those are supposed to be as good as PRS.

Regards

André

#21 ·
As Rob mentioned, I am seriously considering selling my 1981 Tobacco Burst Custom. Latest bought of 7-string GAS has left me needing a little cash. As this don't get played much, I am be willing to sell for the right price ;)
Anyways, a pic of my LP Custom

#24 ·
I think you need to go over to the Les Paul forum and ask there. Those guys live and bre4athe LP's, and their opinions will be more throughly considered. LPs cost a bundle, you should get eh best advice you possibly can if you are looking at the guitar as an investment.
And if you are looking for an investment, an original, mint condition LP Deluxe from the early 70's will likely be as much money as a new one and appreciate faster as well.

jim

#25 ·
Agreed (partly) on the forum, but I know and trust people round here so I'll ask here as well as my Gibson obsessed mates.

Example: If you ask here what's wrong with Jems, you'll get a torrent of people telling you they are perfect then find a little truth in between (neck joint paint cracks etc). I figure there are not so many people blinded by the Gibson name here so responses might be more honest! Just a theory.

Not interested in investments, I'm interested in a guitar to play, and I'll almost certainly buy new.

#26 ·
To be honest, I had a 2004 Gibson Standard and it rocked. the quality was fine and I actually like the newer Burstbucker Pro pickups better than any other Gibson pickups (save for vintage PAFs). It got sold to help pay for the arrival of my son, but I would have no problem buying a new Gibson again. Like anything else, you just need to try them out before you buy.

I think the cause of the current "bad reputation" for Gibson has to do with their pricing. At the level they charge, people expect near-perfection... and who can blame them? With all of the cheap knock-offs out there with similar construction/materials to a Paul, you need to truly provide something great for the 3-5x price increase. This feeling magnifies any flaws, IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.